SOLVED

Random number on SPO site attached to private channel

Brass Contributor

Hello, 

Background: 

I created a private channel called 'Finance' back in October 2020 and deleted it in Oct itself. I think I excluded the site '/sites/lg-finance' (lg is the Team name) in retention policy and deleted it as well. We never deleted the team if that helps to know.

We were in the process of setting up a new architecture and was testing with different ways of setting up Teams and SP and Doc Lib. So, many teams and private channels were created and deleted, but I couldn't delete the private channel's sites even after excluding it in retention policy for some reason, Error: included in ediscovery hold or retention policy'. this started to happen by 1st week of Nov and we had way too many orphaned sites. But I was able to delete the site thats gets created with the team. Maybe it is working as per design. 

After 2 months with MS support, they said they will disable orphaned hold on the account and now I'm able to delete the orphaned site. 

Problem:

The 'Finance' private channel we deleted back in oct, we need it back, so I recreated the channel but the site is getting a random number for every try. Never see it before as it was always in increments (I think). but '/sites/lg-finance' doesnt exist for the last 3 months and i believe it should be available already but unable to get the channel to create a site without random number at the end like '/sites/lg-finance79' '/sites/lg-finance97' etc

I ran a powershell script to pull out all the site including modern team and group site and lg-finance doesnt exist.

any suggestions and help?

2 Replies
Seems to me to be some backend remains lingering! I think your best bet is to create another ticket with Microsoft about this!

Adam
best response confirmed by rjack (Brass Contributor)
Solution

this is resolved by running remove-spodeletedsite powershell command. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rjack (Brass Contributor)
Solution

this is resolved by running remove-spodeletedsite powershell command. 

View solution in original post