SOLVED

Quote chat message in reply on desktop

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

When chatting on the mobile version, I can tap-hold a chat message and get a "reply" option that quotes the original message in the reply.  How can I do this with the desktop app?

73 Replies

@SLiddicoat There is a workaround for doing that:

Teams Quote reply on desktop 

I really don't understand why this feature is not available by default. Seriously :\

@SLiddicoat I agree. This feature is an absolute no brainer.

@SLiddicoat you can do it manually, it's pain because it's not so quick compare to a simple clic to Android feature, but it works.

I use this method:

1. Copy the complete message you want reply to

2. Enter in a full editor to type the new message

3. Paste the content into the text box

4. Highlight the text and press the "quote" button available in the toolbar

5. Write the response

I hope this can help you.

Regards

@Marco13_457 

@Marco13_457 wrote:

@SLiddicoat you can do it manually, it's pain because it's not so quick compare to a simple clic to Android feature, but it works.

I use this method:

1. Copy the complete message you want reply to

2. Enter in a full editor to type the new message

3. Paste the content into the text box

4. Highlight the text and press the "quote" button available in the toolbar

5. Write the response

I hope this can help you.

Regards

Yeah, it looks the same, but doesn't work the same. The quote doesn't have the reference to the original message, the Android reply feature does. You can click on the quoted message in the mobile app and it'll take you to the message and hightlight it, but not the desktop/web app.

@SuhasBharadwajK yeah this sucks - is it really not available?  I find it funny that the best experience in Teams would currently be on a tablet given the mobile direct reply feature and no other real differences.

@SuhasBharadwajK  I found that, you have to click on the "Format Textbox" functions, then it will open the quote button. See the attached image.Capture.JPG

you can also type ">" to trigger quote but ofc quoting is wasting clicks while Teams is meant to make communication easier dan faster.
Why they only enable it on mobile version is super unclear.

@SLiddicoat Teams is professional platform used by many orgs. Microsoft should prioritize adding required features than adding Nice-to-Have features, like smiley GIFs support.

Little suprised to know that Teams is mature platform and still not have something useful. I have to post from mobile when i need to reply multiple queries in client chat. Please MS use "SKYPE for desktop" features AS-IS we are happy with that.

@Glenn_Murphy14 totally agree! this is so minor feature to implement, but having such big impact on the conversation flow.

Srsly MS, why isn't this default on the desktop app too?!

@Laurentiu_Pana I hear you and agree! But for now all we can do is vote to push it up the agenda (as it's on the backlog) https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/39353152-reply-to-specific-mes...

As others already have pointed out there's a workaround that actually works but it's a time consumer if using it constantly.

1. Mark the post/reply and copy it
2. Go to the "Type a new message" field (bottom) or choose "Reply"
3. Press shift and >
4. Paste and press Enter twice
5. Reply

But it won't have the reference to which message we're replying. Like when we click it goes to

@ZacLetkeman No, it's not. It's such a no-brainer feature nowadays. Even WhatsApp Web has it and it works perfectly. I don't know what is stopping Microsoft to build that into the web app. Everyone wants it. At least two of my coworkers stumbled into my reply here and called to me ask if it's me who has posted and how to enabled that feature. I had to explain to them that only the Android and iOS versions have that feature, the desktop one doesn't. And that's incredibly stupid because I use Teams only while working and I work only from my laptop or desktop, why on Earth would they not include that feature on the most used platform?!

@SuhasBharadwajK yeah, it's ridiculous.

This is ridiculous. It's a no-brainer feature, seriously.

Any news on this?

@SLiddicoat 

A colleague showed me how to do this.

Steps:

Put your cursor in the Team's Chat box.

mrs99mrs99_0-1598968820287.jpeg

Press Shift and > (greater than)
You'll see a grey box in the Team's Chat box.

Teams chat textbox.png

Copy and paste what you want to reply to.

Teams chat textbox 2.png

Press Enter, the cursor advances to the next line.

Teams chat textbox 3.png

Press Enter again, your cursor advances out of the reply box. 

Teams chat textbox 4.png

Type your reply.

1 best response