SOLVED

Quote chat message in reply on desktop

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

When chatting on the mobile version, I can tap-hold a chat message and get a "reply" option that quotes the original message in the reply.  How can I do this with the desktop app?

73 Replies

Microsoft sure can do better but...manageable.

Any ideas when this feature will be available in its proper form? It's since been on Skype strangely.

Still waiting for this feature...

In our tenant it is now available for a few users. So I think it will be available by the end of this year for everyone.

Nice to hear this. I must have missed the announcement of the phased deployment. Better late than never. Thank you @TheM365Guy 

The replies in threaded conversations are organized under the initial conversation and are easier to follow.

Find the conversation thread you want to reply to.

Select Reply, add your message, and press Enter.

It's 2020 year end and Microsoft still hasn't provide a better Quote message reply for Desktop app.

I was about to suggest better search capability and chat downloading but hey... Microsoft hasn't included reply function yet so I drop my expectation. 

It's pretty poor you can't do this - Is this not basic functionality? Look at all the integrations and giphy inclusion—yet a core requirement of a group chat is to be able to reply. Not efficient. And the work around above it so time consuming it's crazy.

@TheM365Guy 

I sincerely hope this means they will be rolling out the feature in the next update. We are migrating to Teams, coming from using WhatsApp for intraoffice communication. WhatsApp desktop has it, and it's an obvious feature. 

Thank you very much, it is the best solution of all those described so far, to see when Microsoft incorporates it in the same way as in the mobile

Hi @Lionel Roels,

Unfortunately currently there are 3782 reactions to this, so it is hard to browse all of them to find the workaround you suggest. Can you please share a direct link to the workaround?

Many Thanks,

Micha

@SLiddicoat

I have found a way you can quote messages. You have to copy the part you want to quote. You paste. Then you click on the A with the brush then there is " button and it quotes your bit.

1. Copy the message
  2. Click on Format located in the text box
  3. On the toolbar click on Quote
  4. Paste the original message
  5. Press Enter twice and to type your message after the quote

@SLiddicoat 

From St Google:

How to quote a message in Microsoft Teams
  • Copy the message.
  • On your keyboard press “Shift” + “>”
  • Paste the original message and then type your own message.
  • Press Enter twice and to type your message after the quote.

@MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile Sounds like Standard MS behavior aiming at making life more hard rather then easier. Inconstancy should be a slogan. 

Where's my desktop reply button?

@Lele_Dumbo  Exactly - MS need to sort out some basic functionality.