We are using the free version of Teams and have a little over 150 users. Recently we encountered a weird issue after adding a couple of new users. The user was invited to the org just like everyone else, received the welcome email, followed the link to setup their account, signed in to Teams successfully, but then hit a dead end with this:
The same thing happened to another user that was created a few days later. We have tried to remove the user, re-add the user, re-send the invitation, but nothing changes. It's like they are half-in / half-out. The users can't directly chat with another user either.
Yesterday, I created a test user, but surprisingly, was able to go all the way and get that test user connected to Teams with no problems at all. The settings in Teams don't have much granularity when it comes to checking the status of users, so I am perplexed and not sure how to resolve this problem.
I tried contacting O365 support, but they won't help a free account and directed me here. I'm hoping the brilliant minds here can point me in the right direction.
Usually it’s due to them being cached to another account than the email it was sent too or something like that.
Not sure exactly how to fix but you could try going to portal.azure.com and you should be able to as the free teams org owner go into azure active directory there and find the guest accounts and delete them. Then go through process of inviting again. If that don’t work do it again and make sure they use incognito when accepting invite.
Honestly I think there was a bug recently that may have been fixed at the time you tested it cause I’ve seen a handful of these complaints recently. Anyway give that a whirl and hopefully it works out.
@Chris Webb This is still a problem and O365 Tech Support sent me a link to this article as a workaround. Per support, this is a sporadic problem that is affecting very few users (less than 1%), so I don't see a fix in the near future.
We had 2 guest users from different companies that were previously in Teams and then could no longer connect to our org's Teams. One user's company moved their domain from 1 registrar to another which changed their O365 Org ID. The other user didn't do anything, so we have no idea why he could not connect from 2 computers and his iPhone that were previously connected to our Teams.
This is how I got them back into our Teams:
Deleted both users in Azure.
Waited for propagation to Teams & O365.
Permanently deleted both users from the deleted users in Azure.
Waited just in case there was any other propagation.
Added them back to Teams.
Waiting for propagation to Teams and permanently deleting the user in Azure is important (see additional note below).
There are negative side effects with all direct cats between the affected user and any other users. Initially, you will still see your direct chats with the user. If you send another message in that chat, the user will not get the message, the user ID in that chat no longer belongs to that user (it belongs to a deleted user). 1 or 2 days later, the name on that direct chat will change to "Unknown User". If you search for his username in Teams before Teams changes the user's name to Unknown User, Teams will open the direct chat with the deleted user, and you will be chatting with no one but yourself. You have to start a new chat with the user. Going forward, if you need to search for past chats with the user, you will need to search for the user and "Unknown User". If this only happened to 1 user, not a big deal. This has now happened with 2 users and with over 100 guest users in our org this will likely happen again and again. When any of our 100+ users search for a message from any affected user, we have to search our direct chat with the user (current), and direct chats with multiple Unknown Users. I have no idea how we are going to do this.
Additional Note: I tried a similar approach about a week or two ago that did not work. Not sure if it didn't work because I didn't permanently delete them, or didn't wait long enough for propagation. This is what did not work: 1) Deleted from Azure and Teams. 2) Waited 30-60 minutes. 3) Added back to Teams.