SOLVED

"We can't setup the conversation because your organizations are not setup to talk to each other"

Iron Contributor

I get this message when I try to Teams chat with another tenant.  Do both tenants have to be in "Teams Only" mode at the org level for this to work?  Tenant A is in Islands Mode with external access enabled, Tenant B is in Teams only mode with external access enabled.  Chat message is being initiated from Tenant A.

Thanks!

20 Replies

@Joe McGowan Hi, I get the feeling that an Allow list is in use here. Have you verified that?

Manage external access (federation) - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Btw, this is the text next to the toggle:

Users can communicate with other Skype for Business and Teams users

See this as well

Coexistence with Skype for Business - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

@ChristianBergstrom 

Nothing in the allow/disallow list.  I get the feeling both tenants need to be in Teams only mode.

I had this working previously in Islands mode, but I had to go into the Skype for Business Admin Center and allow external communication.  That no longer exists, so I may need Powershell to check status.  We're going to Teams Only mode in less than 30 days, so I'll see what happens then.

Screenshot 2021-01-28 100652.jpg

@Joe McGowan And how does the other tenant settings look like? You don't necessarily have to be Teams-only as the table I sent shows.

I read your initial post again, you are correct in your scenario in that way that it can ONLY be a Teams RECIPIENT.

bec064_0-1611848498081.png

Federated routing for new chats or calls

Coexistence with Skype for Business - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

@ChristianBergstrom 

Its just not working.  I opened a Microsoft support case.  

@Joe McGowan Thanks for the update! Let me know how it goes! Very curious here...

@Joe McGowan Just have to ask, have you verified the settings with the other tenant? Doesn't matter if it's only yours that's all good. Just a "note" from the docs:

If you and another user both turn on external access and allow one another's domains, this will work. If it doesn't work, the other user should make sure their configuration isn't blocking your domain.

Just in case you haven't been there already.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Yes, confirmed visually that they have external access turned on with no allowed or blocked domains.

What about: ”If you and another user both turn on external access and allow one another's domains, this will work”. Doesn’t work either?

@Joe McGowan 

Anything look incorrect for external access?

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160250.png

@Joe McGowan Hey, I was wondering how it went as you didn't reply. Have to ask if you have verified these settings? (not only the attached policy picture).

@ChristianBergstrom 

Surely isn't this just that Tenant A is in Islands mode, there's no federation from Teams in Islands.

@Steven Collier How about table 2c from my attached picture above?

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ChristianBergstrom 

Looks like I found the issue.  When I did a Get-CsTenantFederationConfiguration, the AllowedDomains setting was blank.  I added "AllowAllKnownDomains" and chat is working now.  

https://www.thirdtier.net/2020/04/10/microsoft-teams-does-not-allow-remote-users-to-connect/

I think this setting was inherited from our Skype for Business configuration which had federation disabled, but that is a guess.  Our tenant is still in Islands mode, target is Teams only, and I'm able to chat with them now.

image-1.png

@Joe McGowan Hello, short of time yesterday. Glad it got sorted and thanks for the update!

@Joe McGowan 

Hi Joe,

In Allowed domains how to make "All Allowed domains"

For me few of them are showing

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ChristianBergstrom 

Looks like I found the issue.  When I did a Get-CsTenantFederationConfiguration, the AllowedDomains setting was blank.  I added "AllowAllKnownDomains" and chat is working now.  

https://www.thirdtier.net/2020/04/10/microsoft-teams-does-not-allow-remote-users-to-connect/

I think this setting was inherited from our Skype for Business configuration which had federation disabled, but that is a guess.  Our tenant is still in Islands mode, target is Teams only, and I'm able to chat with them now.

image-1.png

View solution in original post