SOLVED

"There was a problem saving the photo. Please try again."

Brass Contributor

Every time someone tries to change the image of the team we get this error, "There was a problem saving the photo. Please try again." We try and try and try and try and try and try again with NADA. I have asked for help, but get nothing. So does anyone else have this issue or just us? A solution? 

125 Replies
This might be a problem of the image you are using....can you share some details about it? In general if you use an image of 256x256 or 512x512 it should work...I have suffered sometimes the problem you mention, and most of the times was due to a wrong image
You could also try changing the photo through the SharePoint page, site information and see if that takes hold.
Is this in an EDU tenant by chance?

Try changing the photo, and also make a change to the description. Simply removing/adding a period is enough. Curious to see if that works as I’m tracking a similar issue.

Following.  We have same issue.

@P_MooreWe have the same issue. The size or format of the picture doesn't change anything, as the default images aren't working either.

I succeeded changing the Teams avatar from my iPhone, but nothing works from the windows app.

Following this thread too.  Regardless of if it's the Windows or Mac App, changing my picture in Teams seems to be way more cumbersome that it ever should be.  The error message is also vague to the point of useless.

It's the little things like this (bad UX) that add up and leave a sour taste in a users mouth...

We've had success changing a letter or word in the Team description. For some reason the photo won't update unless something in the Team name or description is also altered. @P_Moore 

Unfortunately, I have the same issue.

Unfortunately, I have the same issue too.

@Juan Carlos González Martín Only 256x256 .png worked for me. I tried 512x512 and 128x128 and both did not work. Using .jpg didn't work either.

The problem was solved.

What was the resolution? Thanks.

If you are using EWS Allow lists, we had to add SkypeSpaces/* to our list to allow profile pic to by synced.

@Mark HickmanI did not do any thing to solve the problem. After a month, I just checked and  realized that I could update the pics of teams.

I don't mean to "bash" and this is off-topic, but our folks have Slack and Teams and the Slack advocates aren't thrilled with Teams UX. I try to be unbiased, but it is pretty bad. I want Teams to be great. It really should be better than anything out there.

@ericis 256x256 png gives me the same issue...

Is it me only, who think that how in year 2020 we already should have informative error messages?

Teams upload picture error.png

If the resolution is wrong, it should be easy to say. If the format is wrong, should be easy to say. etc..

[edit]

For me it helps when I reduced the colors to 255.

Same problem

I triied using a picture which worked five minutes ago and it fails with the same dummy error message so the format or size do not matter as trying with a picture which already worked for an other teams fails .. 

... Pathétic  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@OrlaJoan Hi, wow this conversation is massive. I wonder if all are having identical issues with the photo. Must be that similar has been merged into this one.

Anyway, for the record. Something that can affect is the following.

"Teams users with mailboxes hosted on premises must be synchronized to Azure Active Directory. They can change the user profile picture providing Exchange Server 2016 (Cumulative Update 3), or above, is running on-premises."

'Change your picture in Teams'

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-your-picture-in-teams-7a711943-9248-420e-b814-c071...

See the table with "User's mailbox is hosted in" and the "Modify user profile picture" to see if you should be able to do it.

'How Exchange and Microsoft Teams interact'

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/exchange-teams-interact 

Note the 7 disclaimer as well.

"Teams honors the Outlook on the web mailbox policy setting that's configured by tenant admins to control whether users can change their profile picture. If the -SetPhotoEnabled setting is turned off in the policy, users cannot add, change, or remove their profile picture."

View solution in original post