SOLVED

"Same room" during a meeting for muting concept

Brass Contributor

Given:

A couple of attendees sit in the same room

When:

One in room talk

Then:

The other person physically in the same room should not hear the person in their headset, because they already hear it physically.

There are several solution to solve this problematic which is why, I did not come with a ready solution. I let you find perform the Ux work to find the better one. I add below a couple of idesas which is not to be seen as exhaustiv list of solutions!

Some ideas (with +/- reflexion):

• every user has a "mute this user for me"-button available
    • minus: there is no sharing, and every one must do it for itself ;
    • minus?: I do not know how the audio streams are shared/mixed between the clients, but it could have an impact on the bandwith, because every audio should be streamed separatly (to have the availability to exclude one)
    • plus: every one can do what he want
  • every user can configure a "room" object, which is shared and automatically has impacts on others:
    • plus: one does the job, several have the benefits
    • minus: in a group of 3 persons  (or more) in a room if the one in the middle hears physically the 2 others well enought, the right anf left one might not hear themselves well (or one has a active filtering headset or ...) and might wand NOT to mute the user
3 Replies
best response confirmed by Romain44444 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Romain44444 

It's a suggestion we've seen before in this thread, please vote for it on the feedback portal as per the original thread https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/allow-muting-a-person-only-for-me/m-p/3286181...

I would add that in your solutions you've only considered the audio experience, there is also the mic to consider. If both people in the room had unmuted mics the speech would be picked up twice, there could also be feedback due to a speaker and mic in the same area but across devices. A tricky problem.

Microsoft's current recommendation would be that your room had a Teams Room System which would act as the sole mic and speakers, and your attendees can join from their laptops with muted mic and speakers if they want to share or view content.

Thank you. I voted there, mark your response as best response and will close this ticket to avoid duplicates.

Quick replies to your remark (do not take it negatively or personally, I want to enhance your use case with some problematic for the global reflection):

• I work as a freelancer by different medium to big companies and will not start arguing with their purchase-team to ask them to buy such centralised systems. And I will not come with such a system as it will imply a loss of time to configure, set it up, explain for 30 Minutes-meetings (and it could be seen as arrogant by my customers)
  • For the speaker part, I do not work in my native language and I hear / understand 10 times better with a headset as with a centralised audio
  • For the micro part, yet that you say it, it also is sometimes a problem, but quickly manual fixed, since people already can mute themselves successfully and it works pretty smoothly. Actually , with the room-concept described above it could be semi automated: Alice unmutes herself to starts speaking, it mutes the micro of Bob and C... (forgot the first name of C) who have allowed such a behaviour by acknowledging being in the same room (once per meeting occurence).
  • I shall also explain, that our meetings are technical meeting in our shared daily working rooms and not in dedicated meeting rooms. Therefore, dedicated audio invest would be huge for my clients.
There are relatively cheap speakerphone devices that can be used. One person has the device connected, everyone else stays muted or doesn't even connect audio.

Honestly, you will never be able to get what you really want, because you will always tend to hear the speaker talking next you, even through your headset. And that is going to be delayed by a few msecs.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Romain44444 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Romain44444 

It's a suggestion we've seen before in this thread, please vote for it on the feedback portal as per the original thread https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/allow-muting-a-person-only-for-me/m-p/3286181...

I would add that in your solutions you've only considered the audio experience, there is also the mic to consider. If both people in the room had unmuted mics the speech would be picked up twice, there could also be feedback due to a speaker and mic in the same area but across devices. A tricky problem.

Microsoft's current recommendation would be that your room had a Teams Room System which would act as the sole mic and speakers, and your attendees can join from their laptops with muted mic and speakers if they want to share or view content.

View solution in original post