"Mute All" issues in Teams

Copper Contributor

Is Microsoft planning to add "Meeting Options" feature similar to what we had in SFB to force mute on entry? This is becoming a major headache for large meetings with over 100s of remote participants. One of the main problems is that anyone has the ability "Mute All" at any time which it mutes the main speaker line as well.

8 Replies
Hi @mshariar

There are a number of uservoices open for this currently, including

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/38183704-please-have-the-teams...

Would recommend you vote to push them up the agenda. Whilst Microsoft have set the Teams client to have camera and audio off by default for many this has not gone far enough and would like to see mute on entry and control to be able to un-mute.

There is an AMA on here on the 22nd about migration from SfB to Teams. May be worthwhile bringing this up as a barrier to organisations moving across and make it visible to the Team.

Hope this answers your question

Best, Chris

Yup, that and similar issues have been discussed and acknowledged by Microsoft. Controls are coming, but we cannot share any timeframes yet.

Hi @Vasil Michev,

I see you replied in August 2019. Is there any progress? 

There is a "Mute All" button, but students are able to unmute themselves. They are also able to mute the teacher which does not make sense why MS Team gives that kind of ability to participant other than the organizer. Teachers are struggling now.

These are the must and Microsoft should include them asap if they want to beat Google Classroom;
1 - The teacher/organizer should be the only one to manage the entire session.
2 - Students shouldn't be able to unmute themselves
3 - The student shouldn't have the ability to mute the teacher

Use Presenter and attendee roles

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16...

Setting these in the meeting will prevent the students muting the teacher and the Teacher can manage the session.

There are several uservoices open to stop unmute including this one

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40016683-prevent-attendees-fro...

Microsoft is working on it in the background and we hope to see this after things like raise hand, custom backgrounds, see all participants in a meeting are released. So vote for this and you will be notified when it is picked up/the status changes

Hope that helps

Best, Chris

@mshariar has a resolution been created for the automatic mute all for teams meetings? I see this post was in 2019 so I am hoping microsoft has addressed this already and I just don't know how to automatically mute all upon entry.

@Vasil Michev is this mute all upon entry feature available in Teams yet?

According to the Uservoice item it is in testing as of the beginning of September 2020 @User123452335 

@ThereseSolimeno @User123452335 

The Hard Mute option is showing in the Teams Admin Centre, but is not currently showing in the Teams Meeting options - which means it should be here very soon