Question regarding Microsoft 365 business voice

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I'm new to Microsoft teams and is quite confused with the following concepts: Microsoft 365 business voice, phone system & calling plan. 

- Are these built-in functions for Microsoft 365 Business?

- Is Microsoft 365 business voice only available in UK and Canada?

- I'm currently based in Australia, then can I setup phone system and calling plan by myself in order to connect to PSTN?

Regards,

Ray

5 Replies

Hi,

Currently phone system is only available when you have a Enterprise Plan (E1, E3, & E5) when you are outside of UK and Canada. It will be globally available sometime in 2020 for other countries and companies using Microsoft 365 Business.

Phone system is the PBX so together with this you also need Calling Plans and/or Direct Routing to get the connection to PSTN network. Calling Plans is only available in a few countries, for Australia it is available via Telstra.

In Australia you can but Calling via Telstra, a Microsoft partner, but it is only available if your tenant is located in Australia.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/manage-phone-numbers-for-your-organization/phone-num...

@Linus Cansby 

Hi Linus,

Thanks for that. Just wondering is this similar to Microsoft 365 business voice?

I understand that in order to use PSTN we need both phone system and calling plan and both of them are available in Australia (well calling plan need to go Telstra). 

But why Microsoft 365 business voice is only available in UK and Canada? If Microsoft 365 business voice contains phone system and calling plan and both components are available in Australia, then why Australia cannot use Microsoft 365 business voice? Is there any difference? Thank you!

Why Microsoft 365 business voice is only available in UK and Canada, I don't know. I guess Microsoft just wanted to test this on in a few countries. The new thing with this is that you can buy it with other licenses than Enterprise licenses. 

So the main difference between business voice license and Phone System + Direct Routing or Phone System + Calling Plans is that you can buy Business Voice together with Office 365 Business licenses. 

@Linus Cansby Hi, it's November...do you know if there has been any movement in this area please?

@Mk2Digital You can now use Business Voice in more countries. Australia is listed as available for Business Voice with Direct Routing. 

Country and region availability for Business Voice - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs