question about documented QoS guidance

Iron Contributor

Hi all,

In the Microsoft documentation for implementing QoS in Teams, there is an important note that states the following:

4. Implement QoS settings:

1. On clients using a Group Policy Object (GPO) to set client device port ranges and markings.

2. On routers (see the manufacturer documentation) or other network devices. This might include port-based Access Control Lists (ACLs) or simply defining the QoS queues and DSCP markings, or all of these.

Important

We recommend implementing these QoS policies using the client source ports and a source and destination IP address of “any.” This will catch both incoming and outgoing media traffic on the internal network.

3. Set how you want to handle media traffic for Teams meetings.

Is it supposed to work this way if you are only setting the policy on the client side?  We have configured client-side QoS using GPO, however when doing a wireshark, we only see outbound traffic being tagged.  Inbound traffic is still coming in as default.  We needed to take extra steps to apply QoS markings to inbound traffic at the perimeter using the IP ranges of the Teams service.  Am I missing something there?

3 Replies
I don't know the answer, but I would add that I wouldn't expect most people to trust the tagging coming in externally.

@DaveTheTeamsGuy 

Are you using your switches/routers to tag other traffic that match the criteria? The GPO is only going to make sure traffic leaving the workstation is tagged, it's not going to tag anything coming inbound to the device.

Additionally, as @Ed Woodrick mentioned, tagging and QoS rarely survives past your edge routers, unless you have the assistance of your ISP.  Though it's still recommended to use it if you can on your internal networks to prioritize local traffic.

Yep understood. Just concerned with on-net tagging.