QoS Question - Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

Greetings!

Reviewing the QoS guidance for Teams, there are port ranges to fix for Audio, Video and Sharing on Teams Admin site. The concept is very clear for P2P traffic. In an Ignite session, I saw that by default Teams Client port used is UDP 3478 (source port) for all real time traffic towards Transport Relay when QoS is not enabled. Further, it uses specific source ports (3478-81) for discovery, Audio, Video, Sharing respectivley when QoS is enabled. This confuses me. My question is with QoS enabled, is the client using defined port range as source ports or is it still using 3478-81 range to talk to TR or are the defined ports limited for P2P only and not TR. Please help me undestand this better.

Thanks,

Az

3 Replies
Hi,

I am hoping the following will go someway to helping: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/qos-in-teams

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech 

Thanks, Henry. That did not help me. I am trying to figure out what happens with the traffic from Teams Client to TR after implementing QoS using 50K ports. Is it still going to use UDP 3478-81 is my question.

Cheers!

I have the same question now.
After applying DSCP tags to Teams.Exe traffic via GPO, although I can see packets (from source ports 50000-50050) marked with the DSCP tags, there still seems to be a lot of UDP traffic from source ports 3478-3481. These packets from 3478-3481 traverse the default class on my network and is not prioritised traffic (as far as I can understand!)

Also, do you or anyone else know if the DSCP tags are applied via GPO, is it still required to turn ON the QoS setting within the Teams Admin Console? Or is the Admin console the same thing as applying the DSCP tags via GPO? (is it meant to be either one or both?)

(I appreciate that this is from a few years ago, but there is a really no real documentation on this topic from a practical sense!)
Thanks!