PSTN call transfer to non-Calling Plan users

Iron Contributor

Hey guys,

a customer of us is just starting a small Teams Calling Plans pilot. Soon we want to enable the reception, but of course we have to test some transfer capabilities.

So for sure transfer to other calling plan users do work.

As well forwarding to normalized phone numbers. But this can only be used as a workarround.

So I could already recognize, when I want to transfer a call, I can see all (or nearly all) tenant users.
Where would the call be transfered to if I choose a user which has no calling plan, yet? To his work number, or even to the teams client?

For the first test I created an additional O365 user (without license so far) and added my mobile phone number. Whilst the transfer process I can see my user, but if I try to transfer it cannot be completed ending up with the message "Couldn't reach XXX".

Tested as well with a contact, but the contact will not be shown in the transfer process.

Any hints what is needed to transfer to a different recipient who has no calling plan?

Kind regards,

woelki

7 Replies
As long as the user has a phone number on their account it will place an outbound call to the user, you can even click the down arrow next to the Transfer button to choose a phone number to transfer too, but it unfortunately won't just pass the call via VoiP to the user. I thought it used to do this two years ago when I was testing this, but apparently not anymore :).
Interesting enough thou, the Voicemail to the Teams account will get the voicemail if no answer is made.

@Chris Webb thanks for your reply.
I just tested again with the customer and unfortunately it behaves exactly the other way arround.

I can see the recipients where I want to transfer to. The user who is not using calling plans is still in islands mode. The first transfer landed in Skype for Business. Then we closed Teams and S4B on recipient side.
The in the next transfer process the user has been shown as offline and after trying to transfer it ends up with "couldn't reach XXX".

So it looks like Teams want to transfer via Voip, or let's say Teams/S4B, not PSTN.

Might there be a setting which should allow PSTN transfer?

Kind regards,

woelki

Thowing Islands into the mix makes it a different scenario. All calls will go to Skype no matter what unless you are Teams Only. The scenario I tested was Teams Only to Teams Only.

@Chris Webb 

OK, I understand. I will verify this with the customer. But this means, the capability is somehow dependend from other resources like a general O365 license (E3 in this case).

Because I tested with a naked O365 user without license, but work phone number. The user is listed in the transfer process, but it is not working.

Can that user transfer anywhere, can they call out?

Yes, he can call anywhere. Is there a decicated setting for forwarding location?