Provision new Teams user accounts without SfB Hybrid account migration

Copper Contributor

Hello,

We have successfully migrated users from on-prem SfB Server 2019 to Teams with PSTN calling and is planning on decommissioning the SfB servers that is currently configured in a hybrid.  We currently provision new hire AD accounts on our on-prem Exchange (although we fully utilize O365 w/ AD Sync) and in SfB Server Control Panel and then migrate the SfB account to Teams.  When we do decommission the SfB servers, how do I provision a new account for Teams use?  I've also researched the AD attribute differences between an AD account that was migrated from SfB to Teams and a vanilla AD account that was just created with the on-prem Exchange server with an O365 mailbox and found that a SfB migrated account populates the following AD attributes.  Do I need to keep the on-prem SfB server running forever if I don't populate those attributes manually?  Is there a way that I can provision a new account with minimal manual AD attribute population for Teams usage assuming that there won't be any on-prem SfB servers around in the future?

msRTCSIP-DeploymentLocator
msRTCSIP-FederationEnabled
msRTCSIP-InternetAccessEnabled
msRTCSIP-Line
msRTCSIP-OptionFlags
msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer
msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress
msRTCSIP-UserEnabled

4 Replies

Hi,

if you say Teams with PSTN calling you mean Teams with a calling Plan from Microsoft?
You don't need to keep an SfB server for managing Teams if you are pure Online for SfB/Teams. To decommission the SfB server environment here is a guide that you can use for your planning.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fasttracktips/2017/06/27/decommissioning-skypelync-on-premises/

At the end, you should ensure that the SfB online attribute InterpretedUserType is DirSyncSfBUser for your csonlineusers

https://msunified.net/2019/07/11/my-post-migration-from-skype-to-teams-toolbox/

You can achieve this by disabling all SFB user accounts and ensure that all msRTC attributes are blank. You don't need them for a Teams deployment without SfB Server.

Doing an unprep of the forest and domain is also an option so you don’t have any OnPrem msRTC attributes.
A new user will be added to the OnPrem AD, then synced and then enabled for teams by adding a license.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Paul

@ADGAdmin Do you ultimately have users set to TeamsOnly mode once their Skype account is moved from on-prem SkypeOnline?  

Ive been recently researching this and one snag I realized is for my school...the UPN and SIP address (for an on-prem Skype user) is different.  The reason why I mention this is when you provision a user for Skype Online (via adding the Skype Online license) the SIP address will match UPN.   Then when you set TeamsOnly for federated chat, users will be searchable via that same address.

Hello @Paul Lange ,

Thank you for the reply and yes, we're currently using Microsoft calling plan for PSTN.  The reference posts do make sense and I will further look into decommissioning process and un-prepping AD to remove the on-prem msRTC attributes.

Yes, we are on TeamsOnly as this is the method for supporting PSTN dialing on Teams. Our UPN and email address are also different, but created a matching alias domain and made it our default UPN to match our organization email address.