Profile pictures not updating/syncing in Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi.

Profile pictures set via the following PowerShell line are not being pushed to Teams specifically.

Set-UserPhoto "User" -PictureData ([System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes("C:\Documents\Pictures\Company Employees Photo\user.jpg"))

It took little time to change in Office 365 services like Delve, SharePoint, OWA (strangely, never ever the Admin Portal on Office365) and about a day for this to reflect in desktop Outlook running cached mode but nothing seems to be happening in Teams. It's been four days now waiting for some photos to populate. I'm using Teams on the web as reference so as to not worry about any caching.

How does Teams sync info like profile photos with other Office365 services and is there a way this can be forced? Is this even possible to manage centrally via Office365 or are photos left to end users to configure? Since Teams is largely commercial, I would think it can't be the latter.

I was wondering if there might be some Teams policy that is preventing profile photos from syncing but cannot find any looking at the myriad of default policies applies in the Teams Admin Console on Office365. Is there a nifty PowerShell command I can use to easily check?

4 Replies

@bc1000 Thanks! That might be it.

@fnanfne I wish that these kinds of posts also stated which module you need to use "Get-UserPhoto" or "Set-UserPhoto", which would save people unfamiliar with these cmdlets, or even less experienced with PowerShell,  time searching for that info.

import-module ????????????? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-userphoto?view=exchange-ps

Set-UserPhoto "First Last" -PictureData ([System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes("c:\photos\firstlast.jpg"))

@WintelGeekyou need to install the exchange powershell module and when you run the connect-exchangeonline commandlet, it will import all the other exchange commandlets (including get/set-userphoto)