SOLVED

Profile Picture is not syncing for team meetings.

Copper Contributor

Dear reader,

I go to high school. My laptop is school property. When I enter Microsoft Teams, I changed my profile picture to something new instead of my previous one. Everything synced in two days. Except teams meetings. Whenever I meet, its still displays the old picture. When I DM someone, it shows the new one. It already synced for all of my other Office 365 apps, just not when I meet in Microsoft Teams.

40 Replies
This fixed my issue as well, but TBH..this is a design flaw. If I update via the client or web, this should just work; at the maximum restarting the app..maybe. But fully signing out to change a profile pic??? Literally every app I use, even indy developer created ones can make this work..why can't a company that has revenue in the billions? Ridiculous.

Yes, signing out and then signing in again resolved it.  Considering I have shut down tons of times over the past 2 years...it's crazy that it requires you to sign out and then log back in.  Hopefully this works for everyone!

(1) Exit from MS Team (2) ope task manager and make sure MS Team is not in-process list , if it is, delete it (3) go %appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Cache and delete all files

@itkdougThis definitely worked for FTA.

@bkashani That also works, however again, to have to do this many steps to update a profile picture is inexcusable. Literal first time developers posting content on GitHub can do this, even swapping Gravatar portraits. Laughable.

now I feel bad for buying office 365, because why do we have to do all those in order to re sync a profile picture, and it is a basic thing in a application

@itkdoug 

This is interesting. I just tried this method. The image changed on my online version but not the desktop. The desktop version still shows the older image.

@Davereyn83 this might depend on how you are viewing 

I only use desktop and I've tested dozens of times since my original reply. In every single instance if I sign out and sign back in, my profile image is updated.

However, this is only when viewing as me. That is, if I'm in a meeting and my cam is off, the image I see in the gallery is  whatever I've updated to. All other users will see my profile image as-of whenever they last signed into teams. Not launched from a reboot but had to actually enter org creds. 

It's still less than desirable functionality though. 

@Rick_Munoz 

Rick, it's not a big deal to me. I just reset my profile photo in the online version and in the desktop. In terms of meetings, though, I'll know more tomorrow when I have some. I'll see what happens then.

@itkdoug I tried changing and deleting the teams picture in the application and web url and saved and exited but when joining a teams meeting still shows and old picture used before. Later changes to the teams picture are not syncing when joining a teams meeting but does show when in a teams chat.

that worked for me :) , thanks

@itkdoug   THIS WORKED!  :happyface:  However, I realized it was not the ONLINE account that was the problem, it was my Teams PHONE APP. So, I followed these steps but with the phone app instead of the browser version. Thank you! 

This worked for me too, but logging out of the desktop app is tricky.  The option is at the bottom when you click on your photo and there is a scary message saying you may lose everything.  I took the chance because I didn't have much history, but I didn't lose a thing.

@SandieB_LA 

Although this method 'works', it's laughable that a multi-billion dollar company can't/won't fix this. Even indy apps by minuscule developers can make this work...

@itkdoug

Worked for me! Thanks! 

I've been trying to get a Teams pic up for months. Other areas of my organization could see my picture and even an outside organization that we have AD links to can see it. Until today, it would not show up in Teams. Thanks! I'll be saving this info for when I want to change my photo.
Thank you @itkdoug! This has been driving me nuts and worked perfectly

Thanks for the tip!  I've been working on this for a week!  @Rick_Munoz 

@Julianuary1st 

Follow the instructions here to fix this:

Clear Teams cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Worked for me.

@Rick_Munoz 

It's February 2024.  I have migrated to "New Teams", and this is still an issue.

Fortunately, your solution is still working.

Does not matter how many times you quit or reboot or clear cache. -- If you Sign Out, and then Sign In, this is when your profile photo is updated.

Thank you for providing this solution.