Problems with Notifications in Teams

Copper Contributor

Hey,

we are a group of 50 students trying to set up MS Teams. There is a big issue with notifications.

First of all: notifications for individual chat messages always come up with everyone, on mobile devices as well as in the desktop application. that means notifications in general are enabled.

We have formed a team with 6 channels. Every single one of us has selected the following notification settings for every single channel: 

• Mobile device: Enter channel, klick on the bell, "all notifications"
  • Desktop application: Enter channel settings, "Banner and Feed" for new posts and mentions

For the most of us, notifications about new posts dont work at all. Neither when the desktop application is running (in the background), nor on the mobile device. 

For me personally it works on Android and desktop, but only for some channels. Some of the channels dont even show up in the activity feed, although the posts are received (the name of the channel is printed in bold letters then, but the posts do not bring up a notification or an entry in the activity feed although they should due to the above mentioned notification config).

Also, within the android notification system setting every single point is enabled for MS Teams.

What are we doing wrong? It appears to be completely random and I have wasted all day trying to figure out what the problem is.

Thank you for any good advice.

9 Replies

Update: We have added another person and set all notifications to the highest level (Banner and Feed as well as Banner and Email in the Global settings )- nothing appears in his feed, nothing is being pushed. not a single notificaiton. how is this possible?

@KeksPower It seems we have found the issue. 

Members of teams only get notifications over acitivies in channels if the channel was created AFTER they joint the team. in other words: if a channel was created before someone became a member, the notifications dont work, no matter how the notifications are set up. it just does not work.

So MS Teams is useless! Great work, Microsoft

Never seen this issue but are you sure people are not “replying” to a post? This will mark the channel bold / unread as well. You need to click the box to get replies As well if you want everything.

Not saying something could be broke because some odd notification issues have popped up on forums here and there but I haven’t seen any issues.

Make sure that the above isn’t the issue if it’s not then not much else can be done other than Microsoft figuring out why the notifications aren’t firing.

@Chris Webb Thanks for your reply! Yes, I am 100% sure. Right now I am sitting here with two computers and two mobile phones with two diffrent accounts and the notifications simply dont work. I have created 3  channels and switched all notifications "on" on both accounts. One of the channels work as it shoulds - the other account receives a notification as soon as a new post is made. The other channels just remain silent although the notification settings are EXACTLY the same - I really dont understand it. Right now we dont have a single student in our group with whom the notifications in all channels work as they should. 

Also, the global notification settings in the mobile apps are set to "always sent notifications no matter if the desktop app is active or not".

The channels that dont send push notifications neither show up in the activity feed, although the settings should make them appear there.

What the.... is wrong here?

I think there is no chance we can get around it, can we?

@Chris Webb Is there any way to contact microsoft directly? My brother told me that Microsoft has several servers that are region based and he assumed that something might be wrong with the server running in our region. We are from west Germany. Is there a way to contact the responsible Microsoft statt for this region in an adequate time?

Passed this on to my MVP team along with some other posts but I would recommend contacting support via admin center and sending a ticket in as well. Seems it could be a regional issue possibly.
Should be fixed now. Can you test? Thanks.

many thanks to you! I have just done a quick test with a few users and so far it seems to work properly. If there should appear problems again, I will update this post. Posts like this are pure gold for people who want to google about a problem :)

Hi @Chris Webb  , I am having the same issue as described by OP. I'm in the Australian Region. The few other users I have checked with in our tenancy seem ok. All was working fine for me until a week or so ago and now nothing new in the activity feed an no notifications, irrespective of settings - both for new channels and old ones that previous sent me notifications just fine. A reinstall of teams cleared out my activity feed history and so is now just blank despite active daily use. Any idea on cause or what to report in a ticket to MS?

Thanks

Karen