Problems connecting as a guest to teams meeting

Copper Contributor

Hello

I sent a joining code to a meeting at Teams via WhatsApp to a guest outside my organization and he is unable to log in with this link from his mobile phone . The guest does not have the Teams app installed but does not get the option to open the Teams web. Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks

Rona

7 Replies

Hi @rona_rona ,

When you say Joining code, could you describe a bit more as to how you came about getting this code. I just want to be sure we are not talking about the joining code for a Team itself.

Also what is the type of meeting. Is it a scheduled meeting, facilitated by way of Teams or a Scheduled or Meet Now meeting bound to a channel of a Team. If the latter the user is going to need to be a member of the Team as a guest to be able to access Teams via say Teams.Microsoft.com if they do not have the app.

Another way depending on how your Teams environment is setup in the background would be to get this person to dial into the meeting but they would have audio only in that instance but no need for a Teams client.

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech 

Thank you Henry for your answer.

My question is about a scheduled meeting from the calendar and not from a Team or channel. The link to the meeting is copied from the meeting. 

Our goal as IT is to define the organizational teams blocking the possibility of add guests to a team os channel without  our approving , but to allow guests to be added freely to meetings.

Do you know what the problem might be?

Thanks

Rona

Hi! Let’s separate guests and external users first. Guests are actual members of a Team, having access to channels, files, chat etc including the possibility to join meetings as that invited guest.
An external user is just someone that gets invited to a teams meeting. You can invite an external to a meeting by entering their email address when setting up the meeting. It won’t make the guests or anything.
I’d suggest you just enter the external peoples email addresses in the meeting from outlook itself.
There might have been a copy/paste issue when you did this before to WhatsApp. By doing my suggestion they will get it by mail and in their calendar

Adam

Thank you @adam deltinger I do not always have the external people's email address I want to invite to the call , sometimes I have only a mobile phone number.

What problems can there be when copying the meeting link to the WhatsApp web ?

Rona

Hi,

For the unknown method you would want to be looking at Live Events and choosing anonymous.

However Live Events might be a bit excessive and a bit of a learning curve if not used to them.

As for knowing a number, if you have PSTN calling available by way of a phone system and calling plan license or phone system license and Direct Routing, you would be able to dial participants in.

Thanks

Henry
I’d just click to join the meeting yourself! The First windows gets opened in the browser! Copy that url!
Try it out by pasting it in another browser tab and make sure that you will land on that same page. Then paste it into WhatsApp.
If that link doesn’t work that’s something WhatsApp doing then with the link. It should work though

Adam
Oh! And since they are not invited make sure to enable anonymous access in the teams meeting settings!!