Problem with inheriting policy by Security/Distribution group for Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi Folks!,

I was create a custom TeamsMeetingPolicy and assigned it to a security group. Everything finished with success except one thing, this policy isn't effective for this particular security group members. 

No one of users in this group dosen't have DIRECT TeamsMeetingPolicy assigned. The group isn't nested in other group. 

Powershell cmdlt Get-CsGroupPolicyAssignment -PolicyType teamsmeetingpolicy shows me that policy is assigned to the group.

Powershell cmdlt Get-CsUserPolicyAssignment -Identity xxxx@xxx.xx -PolicyType TeamsMeetingPolicy shows nothing, from GUI when I check policies on user profile everything is set to "Global (org-wide default)"

Anyone had similar problem and knows solution ? 

6 Replies

@Matich3ck Hi, when did you assign the policy? It can easily take 48 hours for a large group and/or org.

Adding for reference https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/assign-policies#assign-a-policy-to-a-group 

@ChristianBergstromSure I know about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, time delay affecting effectivity of policy but powershell cmdlet Get-CsGroupPolicyAssignment -Identity should shows policy assigned to user instantly even if it not effective yet. 

I try it with Sec Group with only two users. I did it 16h ago.

@Matich3ck Not sure about that to be honest. As you're using a group to assign the policy, and it takes quite some time for it to process, if you then try to get the assigned group policy for an individual in that group before that process is completed it shouldn't be able to present it for you. But I could be wrong.

I would wait until tomorrow, or ask Microsoft by opening a support request if you need to know right now.

*edit* It's even mentioned in the link I attached. When you assign the policy, it's immediately assigned to the group. However, note that the propagation of the policy assignment to members of the group is performed as a background operation and may take some time, depending on the size of the group.

Let me know how it goes!

@ChristianBergstrom It was definitley problems on Microsoft side. From today's morning I can assign policies to groups and it's working instantly (even in 255 members group)

@Matich3ck Hi, that's great! You mean you can instantly use Get-CsGroupPolicyAssignment -Identity to see the assigned group policy? No delay?

Thanks for letting me know!

@ChristianBergstromYeap, New-CsGroupPolicyAssignment in powershell maybe 1 or 2 minutes later I performed Get-CsGroupPolicyAssignment -Identity and got result where I can find policy inherited from group