Preventing ongoing chats after meeting in Microsoft Teams

Highlighted
New Contributor

I encountered an issue that I can foresee having a negative effect as my company adopts Teams. After a meeting has completed, users are still able to chat in the meeting. I fear they will continue to chat in the meeting and not use the Team channels. How can i "lock" the meeting from having the attendees continue to talk in the meeting chat, post meeting?

10 Replies
Highlighted
Not possible currently, since it's just a group chat unfortunately and they can't be deleted. I know this is a user voice Item I believe is in progress to be able for owners of group chats to be able to remove people, which in this case you should be able to remove everyone from a meeting chat if you wanted to prevent it.
Highlighted
Thank you Chris, the only work around that I found is to as you said remove the attendees from the meeting which removes them from the conversation.
Highlighted

I agree.

I'd like to be able to "lock" or close the chat after a meeting has concluded, but keep the chat history available to participants so they can read back over comments, but not make new comments. I'm new to Teams UserVoice but will go on a bit of a look-see.

Highlighted

@Matt Piscatelli 

"hack" a-round... maybe post in bold all caps about an hour after the meeting:

THIS CHAT IS CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN THE NORMAL CHANNEL DISCUSSION! 

HAVE A NICE DAY!  :cool:

Once people start seeing that routinely, it will be second nature. I don't think you should do it the second the meeting ends, there might be some stray thoughts that are important not to shut down.

Highlighted

@Matt Piscatelli

Matt, 

Not a technical answer for you but unfortunately you have been tasked with solving a human issue with technology. Working at an educational institution, we get a lot of these human problems wanting to be alleviated using tech. We try to reinforce norms and make it clear upfront what channels they are to use and what other general norms are.

Best,

bp 

Highlighted

@bipinprakash wrote:

Not a technical answer for you but unfortunately you have been tasked with solving a human issue with technology. Working at an educational institution, we get a lot of these human problems wanting to be alleviated using tech. We try to reinforce norms and make it clear upfront what channels they are to use and what other general norms are.

Microsoft's entire purpose is solving human problems with technology!

However, I agree user training is also important. ;)

Highlighted

@jvngam Hello, this was fast-tracked but unfortunately the chat and link still remain active https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18715552-allow-organizer-to-en...

As a consequence this was created by Christoper Hoard 

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40276684-end-meeting-means-end...

All we can do is go there and vote.

Highlighted

@bec064 wrote:

@jvngam Hello, this was fast-tracked but unfortunately the chat and link still remain active https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18715552-allow-organizer-to-en...

As a consequence this was created by Christoper Hoard 

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40276684-end-meeting-means-end...

All we can do is go there and vote.

@bec064  Thanks for posting these links. Just added my vote for "End meeting means end meeting". Earlier today, I posted my own suggestion on this topic.  I thought about deleting mine after seeing this, but decided to link to Christopher's suggestion instead and leave mine up in case anyone prefers a more narrowly-scoped and/or optional solution.

Highlighted

@Mike Glenn No worries Mike. Just added a vote to your UserVoice suggestion. They do get merged sometimes and you never know which one people end up voting for!

Highlighted

@Matt Piscatelli 

On the contrary, I find it useful to be able to chat with guests whom otherwise would try to reach out to me through whatsapp. It helps me keep my personal chats separate from the business ones. I no longer give out my cellphone number.