Prevent showing chat history when creating an adhoc group chat

Copper Contributor

Let's say we are creating an adhoc group chat with multiple people.

Annotation 2019-08-08 112325.png

After the first person is added to the chat Teams loads the chat history. Can I turn this functionality off?

This is because I may be creating the while others are watching and I don't always want them to see the history of my 1-on-1 chat with X.

6 Replies
No unfortunately. But if you put everyone in new chat before tabbing down it’ll not show history other than that exact group if you had previously chatted.

Since when can we share 1:1 chat history? I've actually requested this feature before and was informed that it's not possible by design, only the history of Group chats can be shared. So what are the exact steps to make it work for 1:1 chats? :)

Think they were talking about someone looking at their screen while popping open chat. Not actually sharing the chat. Least that’s how I decoded it.

@Chris Webb
Here are the steps:

1. Click 'New chat' button:

clipboard_image_0.png

2. New conversation window opens

clipboard_image_2.png

3. I start typing

clipboard_image_6.png

4. Select the contact (Is this what you mean by tabbing? If so, I don't know how NOT to select it).
Result: History is there

clipboard_image_8.png

@Vasil MichevI'm not sure I understand your post. If you help me understand, I will definitely put the steps here.

That's because you effectively have a 1:1 chat. If you add the 3rd participant, it will open a group chat, and the history you are seeing from the 1:1 chat will NOT be shared.