SOLVED

Prevent downloading of Media files

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am new to this community, joined because I am seeking your advice.

I run educational courses on Teams and we are exploring sharing PowerPoint presentations by uploading them using the Share-Browse-My Computer function.  The reason that we are experimenting with this is because if we run the presentation in this manner it does not matter about my trainers broadband speed which can be too slow to support video.  The problem is if we use this method there is an option available to our participants to download our films in mp4 format.  Is there any way to turn off this function so participants are unable to save our products?  Have a look at the attached photo and you should be able to see a download option, this photo was taken from a participants machine.

I hope the above makes sense.  Many thanks for any tips, tricks or answers given..)

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Assuming that you are using office 365 version of Teams, The easiest way to achieve this is to store the mp4 files and the PowerPoint presentations in different locations, that way you can control who has permissions to what. You can create a dedicated folder for mp4 files in SharePoint site corresponding to mp4 files and assign unique permissions.
An easier option you can try is, create a private channel in teams, this would create a different SharePoint site collection automatically. Now you can move your videos into files section of this private channel and only people who will have access to it will be the ones whom you add while creating private channel. All the other regular channels can be used for regular sharing while the private channel will contain mp4 files.

Thanks

@harveer singh 

Many thanks for your suggestions I really apprecate it.

As an education establishment we have a presentation with embedded media files that we deliver to our guest participants who are not a member of any Team or Channel.  Our guest participants are allowed to view whilst on the course but I need to restrict them access to it post-meeting.

So the perfect solution would be to disable the 'download' feature.  Any ideas there?

Many thanks

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Assuming that you are using office 365 version of Teams, The easiest way to achieve this is to store the mp4 files and the PowerPoint presentations in different locations, that way you can control who has permissions to what. You can create a dedicated folder for mp4 files in SharePoint site corresponding to mp4 files and assign unique permissions.
An easier option you can try is, create a private channel in teams, this would create a different SharePoint site collection automatically. Now you can move your videos into files section of this private channel and only people who will have access to it will be the ones whom you add while creating private channel. All the other regular channels can be used for regular sharing while the private channel will contain mp4 files.

Thanks

View solution in original post