Prevent access to Teams Recordings by attendees

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Is there a way to allow only a meeting host to have view access to Teams meeting recordings (preventing attendees having access by default)?

This is for scheduled meetings, not from a Team.

THanks!

20 Replies
Hello, as the standard meeting recording is being stored in OneDrive, simply edit the permissions to that recorded file. You can even choose to open the recording from Teams and then click on the information circle at top right corner to edit the permissions directly. The latter way is from the player window.
Hi,

Ensure that while you are scheduling the meeting from Outlook choose who can be a presenter in the meeting in the meeting option. If all the users are attendee they should not be able to record the meeting.

With Regards,
Satish U

Hi @ChristianJBergstrom ,

That's ok after the event, but i need to stop attendees from ever having access in the first place. Is there a way to do that?

Hi Satish,
I want to stop attendees from being able to VIEW a recording (initiated by the host), not stop them from starting a recording.
Are you aware of a way to do that?

Thanks,

Peter
As the recordings are being saved in OneDrive in the Recordings folder you can edit the permissions on that folder.
But Teams creates sharing links for each individual recording and enables them for each each individual attendee. You can see these in OneDrive Sharing link for the recording files. It's not inheriting the share permissions of the Recordings folder in OneDrive.

if it's a one time job, I think you can create a meeting, copy the link out to another email invitation
(they still could access the recording link, but they will not get the link unless someone share to them)

don't know how to do it as default....

Thanks for the suggestion but it still appears in the meeting chat
Why are you recording meetings with your participants but don't allow those participants to view the very same meeting they have been interacting in? Don't get it.
In this case the meetings run for many hours and there are parts of the meeting that some participants are invited to, i.e. 3 hour meeting 8am-11am with a core group of attendees.
An additional group A of attendees are invited for a section 9am-10am, and a different Group B of additional attendees 10am-11am.

The topics of discussions in these sections are sensitive & private, Group A should not see the recording of Group B's section. They do not wish to have 3 separate meetings to join over the period (I know this would solve the recording permissions issue).

They are migrating from Webex where the recordings could be only visible to host.
Well, in that case I would either start and stop the recording for those groups sections. When doing that you'll get a new recording (for every start and stop). But most likely I would instead create additional breakout rooms for the main meeting and separate the user groups totally, while adding only eligible people the "Presenter role" so they can record the meeting in the breakout rooms sessions.
I have a similar need but mine is around security. I administrate a secure product roadmap call for my organization in Teams every quarter. All members of the program are within a private 365 group. Only members of the group can attend the Teams call. I then upload the recording to Stream and only allow members of the group to view it. That all works well in terms of securing the content.
The problem is that the recording posts in Team chat for everyone, not just me so any of the attendees can download it in the window between me downloading and deleting it from Teams. Even though attendees are in the group, because of the sensitive nature of the content, I don't want them downloading the MP4 and being able to send it to someone outside of the group.

1. Is there a way to only show the recording to me as the administrator?
2. If not is there a way to only allow view permissions to those in the group by default?

Let me know, thanks!

You're talking about channel meeting recordings right? To enable channel meeting recordings to be saved so members can't edit or download the recordings the -ChannelRecordingDownload setting must be set to Block using the Teams meeting policy.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/set-csteamsmeetingpolicy?view=skype-ps

@mattvalenz001 you may create a Private team with no members (only admins like you who should have access to the recording) then schedule a channel meeting on the General channel or another channel you may choose to create.

@ChristianJBergstrom 
very easy - recording is for record purposes and could contain confidential info that should not be disseminated 

@vbenthk We have a similar scenario, where an Exco Meeting can run for 4-6 hours.

Different people are invited in at different times to do presentations, and once exited, we dont want then to have access to the recording which may have sensitive info in it?

@vbenthk @ChristianJBergstrom I agree @vbenthk .  I have several examples where a group at my company needs to record meetings (recording is ALWAYS disclosed), but the attendees should not have access to the direct recording.  Questioning the use case doesn't help the issue, unfortunately.

@pcresswell I also need to find this out, I have scrolled through and noticed to limit access to the onedrive folder seems like the way to go however, in my scenario the meeting recording is being posted on Teams on the Chat that's created and therefore each attendee that's been invited has access to either the recording or the transcription directly from the chat.

Microsoft Teams didn't provide granular control over meeting recordings at the attendee level. By default, meeting recordings are accessible to all participants in a meeting, including attendees.