SOLVED

prevent a conference recording from being downloaded

Brass Contributor

Hi there,

I noticed MS Teams has moved conference video storage location from MS Stream to local in MS Teams post where the conference is held. The change has made sometime in Aug 2020 for all A1 users, I suppose.

Now I wonder I could prevent those conference recording made by me (conference initiator) from being downloaded by other members in the team, since it is only for my reference to review the conference quality, etc.

Thanks for your tips!

Regards,

Chris

12 Replies
Hello, Microsoft did change the storage for A1 subscriptions previously due to Stream infrastructure maintenance. But since then they have introduced a new way of saving meeting recordings, meaning as for now choose Stream or OneDrive/SharePoint for storage. This following page explains it all and shows the available options (before it’s being default next year).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks. I read your tips and found those conference recordings are stored either in OneDrive or SharePoint now for A1 education users. But I could not find "Recordings" folder in my OneDrive, my root folder of OneDrive is "My files" and no "Recordings" folder under there. How could I reach to my recorded videos?

FYI, I browse again my MS Stream videos but could not find those conference recordings neither whilst I could download from the channel I initiated the conference in MS Team(although it is not a preferable way to do).

Thank you again.

Hello, please read the info in the link again as it explains how it works, the config that needs to be done, where the recordings end up depending on what type of meeting it is. I understand it can be confusing but it’s all there. If you are just using the Teams default recording, since you are A1 with no automatic upload to Stream (if that is still the case), the recording will stay in Teams for 21 days and then be deleted. In this scenario you cannot prevent downloading the recording.

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks for your message again. At my environemnt (Windows 10 Home), the following powershell command causes an error as below.

Thank you for your kind advice.

Regards, Chris

Instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-powershell-install

Command:

Install-Module MicrosoftTeams -AllowPrerelease -RequiredVersion "1.1.3-preview"

Could not convert "1.1.3-preview" into "System.Version" format. (since my system is in Japanese, the message was translated to English by me.)

+ ... dule MicrosoftTeams -AllowPrerelease -RequiredVersion "1.1.3-preview"
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Install-Module]、ParameterBindingArgumentTransformationExce
ption
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Install-Module

Hi, who is the IT admin for your edu subscription? Have that person either opt in or out from the new storage location using PowerShell.

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks. If that is caused by I'm not an admin then I'll ask them to opt in.

best response confirmed by ChrisKJP (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Great. That is the only way to change the recording storage location, as it’s a Teams meeting policy setting managed by an (Teams) administrator.
Thank you so much for your time!

@ChristianBergstrom  is there a way to prevent users (not the host) to download the recorded video on Teams? 

@Farhad_Ostovar2265 Hi, these are the default permissions depending on scenario.

Permissions or role-based access

Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for meeting recordings - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

This is coming soon!

Block Downloads for Teams meeting recordings on OneDrive and SharePoint

Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

Play and share a meeting recording in Teams - Office Support (microsoft.com)

@ChristianBergstrom  Thank You, just went over the article. 

Teams channel recordings are stored in Teams SPO Site Doc library:
Doc Library > General > Recordings
If you "stop inheritance permissions" on Recording folder then change the "Members" permission level to "Restricted View" from "edit" (by default) then it should work.
students here must be added as members of the Teams channel which I guess would be the normal case.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ChrisKJP (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Great. That is the only way to change the recording storage location, as it’s a Teams meeting policy setting managed by an (Teams) administrator.

View solution in original post