Presenter alerted to questions during meeting

Copper Contributor

We are using Teams for some trainings.  The presenters would like some kind of alert if someone does a chat in the meeting chat only while they are presenting.  That way if someone has a question and they do not want to ask it aloud, the trainers can still know that someone is asking a question in a timely manner.  Is this possible in teams?

To be clear they do not want to know about chats out side of the meeting, just if someone enters something into the meeting chat.

3 Replies

Hi,

There is a uservoice request for a "Raise your hand" feature and Microsoft confirmed that they are working on that. There is no information when this feature will be released but if you vote for the uservoice you will get more information if they post an update and if that request gets more votes that might trigger them to work faster with this feature.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/35262385-add-a-raise-your-hand...

As Linus said, Raise Hand feature might help, but in the meantime when presenting, dual monitor setup would be the way to go to see the chat while presenting on the other screen with a browser window connected to same tenant and with the meeting chat open. But as far as getting the attention on the main screen you can probably force your status off presenting, but this then opens up your chats to show on your screen.

I guess this is why you want just the meeting chat to show :p. It's actually a good idea to be able to set meeting chat banners to break through DND status. I'll take that to Summit with me here in a month and half :P.

@Chris Webb we just got the Raise Hand feature and are very glad about the addition. However, the Presenter experience is still very hampered in several respects, *especially* in these SIP times where many of our users don't currently have the luxury of multiple monitors.

1. Most of our presenters need to use the Share Desktop mode. Without a separate monitor, they don't see or even get alerted to someone either posting something to the Meeting Chat or (now) raising their hand

2. To make matters even more complicated, the Raise Hand indicator doesn't show up in the Chat panel, only in the Participants panel) and when you're sharing screen, it's often in full-screen mode.) So even though for some important meetings we've had a second person monitor the chat window and verbally communicate questions to the Presenter, now the person monitoring Chat can't see the Raised Hands. Do we have to have a 3rd person monitor the Participants panel too....? I think you can see where this is problematic.

3. It seems that all sharing modes should support what the Share PowerPoint option does; the ability for the Presenter to have the chat panel open without it being visible to the audience. AND the Raise Hand feature should post an indicator into the Chat as well.

Any idea if any of this is in the works? Thank you!