Presence display in Outlook when using Teams and Skype/Lync

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am currently solving the following issue:

- our customer has Skype for Business on-premise (Lync Server) and Exchange on-premise

- newly, they started to use MS Teams (identities sync to Azure AD)

I have information that the presence in Outlook (when composing an email for example) is displayed based on MS Teams status which is not what we want as not everyone in the company uses MS Teams.

Is there any way how to point the presence to be based on Skype instead of Teams?

Thank you very much in advance!

Anna

4 Replies
Go into settings into Teams client and uncheck the box to register tea,s as the default IM client for office apps. This should revert. If not let me know and I’ll find the registry key that should change it.

@Chris Webb Thank you, Chris!

The problem is that by default the option is unchecked (see the attachment).

Could you please find the register key and instruct me how to change it?  Thank you!

Check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers and see if it's switching around. If you aren't Teams only then it should be "Lync" , otherwise it says Teams. 

@Chris Webb 

I'm having the same issue as Anna, the "Register the new Teams as the chat app for Microsoft 365" check box is disabled, but the status in Outlook still won't display.

I located the IM Providers in the Registry Editor, but I'm not familiar enough with the register to know what to check. Under IM Providers there are four folders.

• Communicator
  • Lync
  • Ms Teams
  • Teams

Which one do I need tocheck and what am I looking for?

Thank You,

Willie