Presence delay in Teams

Deleted
Not applicable

We are currently using on-prem Lync 2013 server in production but we want to test Office 365 and Teams in particular. We setup Azure AD Connect, hybrid Exchange and hybrid Skype for Business and moved 4 users, including myself to Skype for Business Online. 

The issue we are seeing right off the bat is that presence in Teams is slow to update. For example:

1. One of the test users will lock their screen, Skype for Business updates immediately, but Teams takes approximately 3 minutes to update.
  2. I manually change my status in Teams to Busy, Skype for Business updates immediately, but the other test users don't see the status change for approximately 3 minutes.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

11 Replies
Welcome to Teams Presence. It's been somewhat flaky since the coexistence launch, but if you experienced it a few months ago you would be grateful. It used to be completely unusable. I think it's a client issue, and I think we're in for a pretty large client update soon after ignite so I would stay tuned. Nothing you can really do atm but live with how it works.

Thanks Christopher. It's frustrating because we trialed Teams in December 2017 and we were disappointed. The POC testers were so frustrated that presence was incorrect and inconsistent  that it killed the POC. We were hoping with the updates that Teams would have worked out the bugs. 

Oh the presence is night and day better now than it was before their latest updates to it which include the out of office support and all that, but it still has a little lag. It's really not that big a deal, at least not to my experience for the most part it's fairly solid.

So if you're wondering if it should be working better than it did back in 2017, yes, it's night and day better from the way it worked then, which was pretty much not at all.

This is all expected behavior.

In SfB as soon as a users presence changes all clients are notified, and update themselves immediately.

In Teams the client can get the new presence state as soon as it asks, but isn't notified. So if you open a chat, open a team conversation etc. you'll get the current, latest presence, but if you sit looking at a static page waiting for the presence to change this is polled for updates every 3 minutes.

The point being that in normal usage it's probably right, but if you are setting up a test to specifically time it then it can look 'slow'.

Well said.

@Steven Collier Expected behaviour is to reflect changed status immediately; that's what expected behaviour is.

Hi @qqqwerty

@Steven Collierand @Chris Webb are right - at the moment it is what it is. I know that Steven and Chris will probably feel the same as you with it being suboptimal having been very vocal on seeing improvements to presence in the past. It is almost certain that they have given this feedback to Microsoft directly.

Good news is that real time presence is currently in development. See Microsoft 365 Road Map article here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=52395

So lets hope this is completed soon. I think we all expect to see presence in real time without any polling delays. That's a great expectation to have as it means we expect to have the best experience and not a sub standard one.

Best, Chris

We are still seeing this same issue.  As has been noted here, SfB is the kind of behavior many of us have come to expect, i.e., "Expected Behavior":  Your Contacts and their Presence are updated almost immediately, and -- by *default* -- SfB shows a wide range of "statuses" (in a meeting, in a conference call, etc.)...  Teams does not do this; many times, the Teams "status" or "presence" shows an innaccurate (or delayed) status while SfB shows the accurate status, in real time...

Is there a way to configure Teams to behave like Skype, in this regard?

Hi @gregkern

Real time presence was achieved some months back, however it is my understanding that with the scaling of the Teams platform due to Covid-19 there has been some throttling and adjustments made. For example, meeting recordings are maxed at 720p. As far as I know, presence is also included in this so there will be some delay for a period

Hope that helps

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard , thanks very much for the Reply; I appreciate your taking the time to post it.  

This is probably my biggest reluctance to switch to Teams, this whole "Status" issue:  In SfB, you can do things like (1) Don't show the Contact's picture (for a "cleaner" list)  (2) Organize your Contacts by Status (busy, available, away, offline, etc.),  (3) View their real-time Status just by looking at their Name in your List (in Teams, you have to hover over the "dot" with your mouse to see what "red" means...)

If anyone has found some good "tweaks" to make Teams as MUCH like Skype for Business as possible, I'd sure be interested in knowing those...  :smile:

@gregkern , you might want to check up on Dantelo (www.dantelo.com) a small Danish software vendor. They have a solution in the making which is going to do just what you wish for.

Your input on requirements for this new service might be of great value to them.