SOLVED

Possible to link to a specific sharepoint/teams folder from a different team channel?

Copper Contributor

Hey all,

Pretty new to Teams here. I am wondering if it is possible in a team's channel to put a link in the "files" tab or some type of another tab (I don't know what type) to a specific folder that exists on another team/SharePoint location?

I have figured out a way to link to the main library/directory of another team SharePoint/team library but not how to narrow it down to just a specific folder. In the image provided I wish I could link to just the specific highlighted folder instead of to the main directory which is "Lexington Office_Documents".

Is this possible somehow?

Would I have to use "Power Automate/flow", is it even possible in that?

I have been told that I should "Open the SharePoint site, navigate to the folder you want to link. Grab the URL and create a Sharepoint tab in the Team's Channel" via a guy on Reddit but when I do this I always get the error message of "This SharePoint link is not supported. Please paste a different SharePoint link".

If somebody wants to watch me via teams try the previous suggestion or a video of me trying it let me know and I will make it happen. 

Any help at all is appreciated greatly because I am pretty new to teams :)

3 Replies
best response confirmed by MrGray1980 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi! No the cloud storage option in the files tab and the SharePoint library tab only will take you to the root of the library! You can do the following:

Take that Url to the folder in Shareapoint and add it via the website tab! Not the SharePoint one.

Create another library in SharePoint with the folder/file structure you want and add that as a SharePoint tab

Adam
Your first option "Take that Url to the folder in Sharepoint and add it via the website tab! Not the SharePoint one." Is wonderful! This helps me out a lot :)

Out of curiosity, I thought about your second option "Create another library in SharePoint with the folder/file structure you want and add that as a SharePoint tab" and it is totally valid too, but seems like it would be extra steps. Is there a reason that you would see why this option might be better than your first option if all the files and folder already exist in other sharepoint sites?
Naw, just another option! The tab option is a more sleek looking also :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MrGray1980 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi! No the cloud storage option in the files tab and the SharePoint library tab only will take you to the root of the library! You can do the following:

Take that Url to the folder in Shareapoint and add it via the website tab! Not the SharePoint one.

Create another library in SharePoint with the folder/file structure you want and add that as a SharePoint tab

Adam

View solution in original post