SOLVED

Possible Sync issue Teams channel and folder in SharePoint

Copper Contributor

Hello there,

Today I was looking into an issue reported by a user of a specific Teams Channel. She stated the data in the channel was no longer accessible from Teams. Hoever when opening the folder in SharePoint she could see the data still in the folder. In Teams she got a message stating the data was no longer available and a button with try again. Clicking that button created a new folder in SharePoint with the same name with one difference it split the name of the folder in two parts example: Channel name original "DiningCity" as is the folder name in SharePoint, folder created upon clicking "try again" is "Dining City".

Does anyone have a clue to what could have caused this? I will remove the channel and folder then recreate the channel which lead to the creation of the folder in SharePoint and see if that fixes the issue. However I have no clue as to how to prevent this from happening again. So any help will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Daniel Palm

2 Replies
It sounds like someone alterned the name of the Sharepoint folder, hence it got disconnected!
You sure no one got into either SharePoint to do this or more commonly when users are syncing the Team channel folders to their computer

Adam
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi @DanielLMN67

I have seen this previously on a few occasions. Someone probably changed the name of the channel folder in SharePoint, and in most cases this occurs when the folder is synced down to the desktop

There is a few options to potentially resolve,
1.) Rename the new folder in SharePoint to something else. Rename the folder in sharepoint back to the original name as created and it ought to resolve
2.) As you described above remove the channel, blow away the old channel folder and recreate
3.) Move forward with the channel as it is now and move the data into the new SharePoint folder, this is easily done by syncing the sharepoint site and the folder structure to the desktop

Hope that helps to answer your question

Best, Chris
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi @DanielLMN67

I have seen this previously on a few occasions. Someone probably changed the name of the channel folder in SharePoint, and in most cases this occurs when the folder is synced down to the desktop

There is a few options to potentially resolve,
1.) Rename the new folder in SharePoint to something else. Rename the folder in sharepoint back to the original name as created and it ought to resolve
2.) As you described above remove the channel, blow away the old channel folder and recreate
3.) Move forward with the channel as it is now and move the data into the new SharePoint folder, this is easily done by syncing the sharepoint site and the folder structure to the desktop

Hope that helps to answer your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post