SOLVED

Poor videos during Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi All :)

I have been trying to set up a presentation system with Teams and a powerpoint. My setup is as follows:

1. I am currently using OBS with VirtualCam to output a feed from my pc. Through webcamtests I am able to confirm it is outputting a 1080p signal. As far as the Webcam of Teams is concerned, it is being provided with a 1080p source, with a decent framerate. For those wondering, I have checked the scaling.
  2. When in a Teams meeting with colleagues, the video quality is being dropped (I would guess somewhere between 540-720p). The framerate is good.
  3. When I Share Desktop, the quality jumps back up to 1080p, but the framerate drops to 3-4 fps.
  4. I also have powerpoint files on my PC and on Onedrive. These powerpoints include videos.

So I can think of a few different ways to try and share a video at the moment. I can put it through the virtual webcam, but the quality drops a lot. I can play it on my desktop and share desktop, but the framerate drops. I can try play it through the Share Powerpoint option, but the participants either get a black screen with audio, or the framerate is incredibly low (1-2fps). We have all tested internet connection speeds at 90mbps down, 35 up.

Can anyone give some advice on how to:

1. Have a webcam stream at 1080p into teams meetings
  2. Share desktop with a decent framerate
  3. Some advice on playing videos through PPTX that look decent??

Thankyou all :)

10 Replies
Microsoft has reduced their bandwidth and quality settings to 720p or less in some cases with the surge of usage due to corona virus. Until they upgrade to meet demand or people go back to normal life we won’t be able to really get solid video through the service for a bit. Web cam is def. the way to go, you can share your entire screen and project to a 2nd monitor. I did this for teamsfest and frame rate was ok but it definitely has its moments where it drops down pretty bad.

You can see how it turned on on my session recording def. reduced but works for the most part. https://youtu.be/JHf5iC1aaMY

Is live events an option? Might be able to get better quality through that?

@Chris Webb 

Good to know about the bandwidth issues.

Seen 10 seconds of the video and loving it haha. Will continue watching :)

Yeah that was snippet pre meeting. Was having a little fun ;). Wanted to do more ya the end but ran outta time!
I have very same problem with Teams. Start using Skype. Video quality from OBS VC way better

@Chris Webb 

We see that they lower it even more, we see it often in meetings with +30 users, checking the report for the meeting, and checking the user report:

MSKvalite.png

So in above the enduser sent 720p into the server, but the server lowers it to 360p WITHOUT notifiying us of it.... So they are trying to hide this, they should push an notification to the meeting as a banner with info like:

We Microsoft have lowered the quality of the video stream for user XXXXXX due to Covid-19.
but i guess they dont want to inform user of this, as it means you pay for a service that they do not deliver.

how could i find this setting, seem i do not have this 2 figures

@Arthur_lee1972 

Sorry extreamly slow answer, but you have this in the Teams report, but little tricky to find. But when you deep dive in the report for an specific user, go to the Advance tab, then in the bottom there is a section called Other, does not look like it but you can expand even more information by pressin on that.

What Teams report are you talking about. I do not see this is any reports.
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@jbuerger

In Teams admin center, first search for a user, then go to the Meeting & Calls tab:

Tornbrink_0-1622017578669.png

Locate the meetign report that you want to dig into:

Once in that meeting report you need to open the report for the user that you want to look into:

Tornbrink_1-1622017935105.png

Press first the Advance tab:

Tornbrink_2-1622017996171.png

Then go to the bottom and press the Other "tab":

Tornbrink_3-1622018044007.png

Under here is alot more report data, and one that is interesting is:

Tornbrink_5-1622018465180.png

Tornbrink_4-1622018287236.png

Here you see what resoution you are sending to the meeting, and also on the left lane what resolution is used in the meeting. Above is an meetign where 9ppl had Video on, so when Teams displays 3x3 video frames it will lower my video from 720p to 360p. But we have seen cases where the video is lowerd to 90p, which even though its in an 3x3 video size the 90p is to low.

Has Microsoft done anything to address this issue from 2 years ago and it is still occurring today?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@jbuerger

In Teams admin center, first search for a user, then go to the Meeting & Calls tab:

Tornbrink_0-1622017578669.png

Locate the meetign report that you want to dig into:

Once in that meeting report you need to open the report for the user that you want to look into:

Tornbrink_1-1622017935105.png

Press first the Advance tab:

Tornbrink_2-1622017996171.png

Then go to the bottom and press the Other "tab":

Tornbrink_3-1622018044007.png

Under here is alot more report data, and one that is interesting is:

Tornbrink_5-1622018465180.png

Tornbrink_4-1622018287236.png

Here you see what resoution you are sending to the meeting, and also on the left lane what resolution is used in the meeting. Above is an meetign where 9ppl had Video on, so when Teams displays 3x3 video frames it will lower my video from 720p to 360p. But we have seen cases where the video is lowerd to 90p, which even though its in an 3x3 video size the 90p is to low.

View solution in original post