SOLVED

Please Fix File Sorting by Name in Ms Teams

Copper Contributor

10 is a bigger number than 9, when sorting files by Name 10 should come after 9...

11 Replies
best response confirmed by HYPERVELOCITY (Copper Contributor)
Solution
They won't, because file names are text fields, no where in history of data types does Text sort 10 in front of 9 when the field is text :). I would say don't put numbers to sort your documents, but because Teams doesn't support metadata yet you can't really get around what you have.

Soon as they release SharePoint file tab, you'll be able to setup a view, and if you have to have a pre-defined sort order you can add a weight or order column that is a number where you can then define order of items in your view.
When is that SharePoint experience coming webb??:white_heavy_check_mark:
I will cut you. :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

P.S. (Supposedly Really Really Soon tm)

@Chris Webb   I figured this was the case... on-par with with Microsoft's user experience across their multiple applications...

@adam deltinger Sharepoint access is already available

Na, he and I were talking about the files tab in Teams (The default Files tab). Is going to use the SharePoint UI soon, where you can access column sorts, filters and views (Default views) to sort your files and access metadata. Right now it's not available.
Yeah, sorry! Inside jokes :)

@HYPERVELOCITY The sorting is character by character, so it compares "9" to "1", not "10", because the nine and the one are in the same position within the name. If you put a zero in front of the nine, such as "09" it will sort how you want because the zero will be compared to the one.

Here is an example of how the sorting works:

fileName01.txt

fileName05.txt
fileName07.txt
fileName09.txt

fileName1.txt
fileName10.txt

fileName27.txt

fileName3.txt

fileName50.txt
fileName8.txt
fileName9.txt

For each additional digit in your number length, you would need to pad with another zero.

Hi @Chris Webb Chris, any update on this?

I'd like to be able to sort by file name.

Cheers.

It’s supposed to be rolling out. I haven’t seen it in any of my tenants yet.

Use the correct number format for sorting … 01; 02; 03; … ; 99    or 001; 002; … ; 999

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HYPERVELOCITY (Copper Contributor)
Solution
They won't, because file names are text fields, no where in history of data types does Text sort 10 in front of 9 when the field is text :). I would say don't put numbers to sort your documents, but because Teams doesn't support metadata yet you can't really get around what you have.

Soon as they release SharePoint file tab, you'll be able to setup a view, and if you have to have a pre-defined sort order you can add a weight or order column that is a number where you can then define order of items in your view.

View solution in original post