Pinning SharePoint links in Teams - possible or not?

Brass Contributor

Dear all,

does anyone know if SharePoint links to files and folders can be pinned in Teams? I would like to be able to pin links to files and folders that have been shared with me directly within Teams.

Example: Tim from Team HR sets up access to a folder in Team HRs document library for me that I need to access regularly. Tim shared the link to the folder with me and I can access the folder using my browser but would like to access it directly within Teams.

I know it is possible to pin whole document libraries directly within Teams by adding them as "Cloud Storage". After adding the link to the library it is accessible directly via Tab or as shortcut in "Files".

I however don't see a way to add normal SharePoint links in Teams as well - which however would be VERY convenient when working with files and folders from Teams I am not a member of.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated
Thanks, Michael

3 Replies

Hi @layer9de - you could navigate to that shared folder in the browser, grab the URL and then add it as a tab using the Website feature. Alternatively, you could open your Teams files in SharePoint, use the New > Link feature there and then those links will be accessible via Teams (just can't add them via the Teams interface, yet) Hope that helps.

Do you mean to pin as you can pin Apps in Teams?
Great suggestion and a need many of us like to have. I'd suggest a uservoice for it, but If we had a "Shared" with me tab added to the "Files" app on the left rail, it could solve a lot of finding shared files with us without having to navigate to OneDrive.

The issue with trying to pin or create tabs to folders shared with you, others may not have access to those locations and Teams are Team based. I guess you could technically have your own personal Teams for such things. If you do, you can website tab directly to your Shared with me view in OneDrive, this will show all the files Shared from others OneDrive and SharePoint in one location and you can group by user etc. I use it often. But you could link to your folder as well, but again there isn't a private location for such things and a Personal Team would technically have to be created in this case.