SOLVED

Participants not showing up on camera BUT camera shows for others

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

The view on my screen in Microsoft teams does not seem to show everyone's camera yet others in the meeting can see all the participants on camera. I instead, get a box with their initials but no video. See attached photo. We are using the free version of teams.

In the past I have been able to see all attendees. I have restarted the app, ensured that it is updated, etc. logged out and in. No luck. 

Help!teams screen.jpg

74 Replies

yes agree @MandM85 this isn’t a response or solution!

i still think @Microsoft not monitoring or bothered!

I'm a 35-year veteran software engineer, and I'm adding my name to the list of people experiencing this issue. It is not bandwidth (I have a 200/200mbps connection), it is some kind of bug.

If someone decides to present their screen, I can suddenly see everyone's video. As soon as they stop, I'm back to icons only. And everyone can see my camera fine.

UPDATE: I did a simple uninstall/reinstall of the app (not libraries or anything complicated) and now it works.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi everyone. I was having this same issue recently. I could not see anyone's video unless screen sharing was enabled. Also, once it was enabled certain colleagues of mine stated that suddenly MY camera would turn off for them.

I managed to solve the problem though by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Teams from Programs & Features
  2. Close any applications that may be using any Teams add-ins (e.g. Outlook)
  3. Delete/rename the following folders:
    1. %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Teams
    2. %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingsAddin
    3. %AppData%\Microsoft\Teams
    4. %LocalAppData%\SquirrelTemp
  4. Download and install the latest version of Teams

Once I had done all of that the problem seemed to disappear. I'm able to see people again in group calls and meetings without screen sharing enabled and they seemed to see me OK as well once sharing was enabled.

Important: This will remove any configuration settings you have made to Teams (e.g. audio/video options, theme) so you will need to reconfigure them again.

Hope it works for you.

@SWillettI'm having exactly the same issue? did you solve it already?

@PCosta340 Try what Mark_Stamatiades suggests (above). I did a simple delete / re-install and it worked.

I have uninstalled/re-installed. I haven’t had a more than 2 participant meeting so can’t say if fixed. Will update when on a bigger call.

@Tamara100 Same issue here. Very frustrating...

A workaround for me is that the "minimized" view shows the camera of the currently speaking person and the "auditorium" view with chairs and all shows the people without problems. But the "main" view of just all people's cameras is not working most of the time. Bandwidth and cameras are not the issue.

The issue is that everyone does have the camera on. :(
Experienced similar issue because my Teams needed to be updated.
I juste started to experienced this issue with one specific external organisation. All meetings that are held within my own organisation are ok. All meetings with other organisations are also ok. But with that specific organisation, the problem is both ways: They sometimes don't see me while my camera is ON, and I sometimes don't see them while they confirm that their camera is ON.

The problem does not go away when we share screen. That is how we realized the problem. Another person was sharing his screen and I noticed on his screen that my avatar was showing instead of my video feed. They all tought that my camera was off.

Also, we noticed that it changes continuously. Sometime it works for some people and then it stops. Sometimes we see everybody, and sometimes we are missing almost everybody.

There is no indication of a bandwith problem.

It used to work fine a until a couple days ago.

I was having this issue this morning, updating the MS teams app has solved it for me, for some reason it hadn't been updated since september 2020.

@Tamara100 

I am starting to see a lot of tickets come through regarding this issue too.  I can get on a 1:1 video chat with one of the impacted users and it works fine.  As soon as we add a third video feed to the call the user with the problem can no longer see ANY video.

From what I'm seeing it has to do with updates.  Our base install is an MSI of 1.3.0.21759. Most of my cases appear after a user has had an automatic update to 1.4

@Ernie770 All, I used the web version of teams once instead of the one at my pc. Had teams open but worked via teams.office.com. Didn't have the issue then and afterwards the issue was solved for teams at my pc as well.

Can't guarantee it will work for everyone (cause I don't know what happened) but it's worth giving a try! :smile:

It is not working for our teams either. Macs and Windows machines. Tried updating the application, reinstalling, reinstalling with removing local app data and even to work on web.

Interesting thing to note - even with latest version of Chrome/Edge on web I can not join video call. On Teams application when I am resizing windows I can see for a second video. So Video itself comes in, just not being displayed for participants (until you minimize and see only the dominant speaker)

@Tamara100 

I reported and issue through the Microsoft 365 Service Health Dashboard and linked this post and it was closed in less than 24 hours with "No Issue Found" and no further comments.  

I'm not sure what else to do besides continuing to reinstall on affected computers.

@imiddleton

That's some quality service right there. I'm going to do the same and see if I get the same result. And I encourage everyone else having this problem to do the same. We had a high-profile board meeting yesterday and 3 board members could not be seen by our GM. Not a good look. 90% chance we are going to have to move over to Zoom now. Thanks a lot Microsoft.
Spoiler
Same with us.  It keeps happening to various people on our weekly Directors meetings.  Of course it's always them.

This is exactly what happens for me as well. 

To everyone still having this problem, a simple uninstall/re-install solved it for me. YMMV.