SOLVED

Participant Video Framing Settings

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

In Teams, there are options to either "fit to frame" or "fill frame" on incoming participants video.

Is there a method to assign one of these as a default setting org-wide? It is not a consistent meeting experience for users, and the movement of the camera ins't very reliable which can lead the camera wandering from side to side. 

I couldn't find a definitive answer to this online, and it would be great if someone could clear this up.

Thanks in Advance,
Alex.

12 Replies
best response confirmed by amoller (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

There is no central policy for these settings so it up to the end user to switch to whatever they think suites the situation best.

There is a uservoice request that would like to change the default setting to "fit to frame", you can vote for it here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/38578531-mak...

If you want a policy to set this I guess the best way is to create a new uservoice requesting this and they get as many people as possible to vote for it. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com

Thanks very much that's great :)

@Linus Cansby I see this thread a year later and the links don't take you to a specific place in the community, either they were removed or maybe combined?  Any insight on where to vote on this today in 2022?

We are struggling with this too. We have a few teams conference rooms with 10+ participants that are presenting to hundreds of other teams participants. Those conference room videos are by default truncated on the remote participants teams sessions unless each person manually clicks "fit to frame". It would be nice to just always select "fit to frame" or make it a per meeting configuration setting.

@amoller 

This is still an active topic. The older user voices appear to be removed. 
A constant pain-point for users is the adaptive views of Teams based on screen ratio, size, window size etc. cropping people out of view.

Most users don't know, are not technically sound or can't be bothered to learn to right-click on each camera feed to 'Fit-to-Frame'. 
The cropped (Fill Frame) image should not be the default or give organizations the ability to govern this setting. It impacts viewing experience when multiple participants are on a single camera feed ,like in a meeting room!

I'd like to see this as a toggle setting in Teams too. Also surprised to see that the Uservoice for Teams seems to now be completely deprecated.

@Sloanwolf 

"The cropped (Fill Frame) image should not be the default"

+1 ! 

Message to Microsoft ...

Rather urgent

Please take other setups into account than just individual people as participants. And let the site or Teams admin decide how their environment behaves.

This morning I had the case.

My colleague asked me a tech question and I started participating in the Teams call.

I sat just some centimeters from her so we were both picked up by the Poly webcam.

Far site complainted that we were not completely visible.

They had 1 half of her and 1 half of me.

I had to explain to all the users how to correct this with the "fit to frame" function.

NONE of them knew this.

MS will propably say "for that case you will need a camera with auto framing".
Agree but in meeting rooms with +40 people these cams will not work. So we use a camera set-up of sometimes 4 to 6 camera's and merge them in multi-view presets towards the Teams appliance. Due to the "fill frame" by default the remote participants see only a partial result. A lot of complaints from customers about this.

@mbuvcs 

+1 again.

At the start of Lockdown my organisation was just beginning to use MS Teams.

During Lockdown, group calls were either Teams or Zoom, with Zoom a personal preference because the video quality was consistently better, and the use of other Teams features was limited.

Now, post covid, use of Teams is firmly embedded into our daily working practices, and using Teams for group meetings has overtaken Zoom.

It's great, EXCEPT for the 'fit to frame' feature. Needless to say, AT EVERY MEETING I go round the attendees clicking 'fit to frame' to compensate for Teams' inability to correctly frame participants. My meetings are with expressive colleagues who are not static crash test dummies dumped in the chairs, and often they end up not in frame.

When a browse of Windows Registry shows thousands of options to set the most tweak-able aspect of every feature of the OS or a user application, I find it unbelievable that 'fit to frame' cannot be configured as an option that can be checked by the app whenever it opens a window for an incoming video stream, so I am astonished it is an old issue that had a Uservoice vote but now seems to have been dropped.

I will raise this internally within my organisation (a major University) to see if others find it an issue. Who knows, maybe a request at organisational level is possible, and may carry some weight.

ken-

----

PS. 1st posting to this community simply to +1 the 'fit to frame' request!

PPS. I would like an option to disable selected incoming video and audio too, for myself, and/or for everyone in the call (if I initiated the meeting), but I can place that request elsewhere.

Hello from May 2022!

I would very much like a 'fit to frame as default' option. Do you know where this vote go to before it was pulled by Microsoft?
Ah! the joys of moving onto Google's next page! I found a current feature request for this;

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/ddcf7cc9-272e-ec11-b6e6-00224827bbc2?q=frame

@kmccoll +1 we are desperate to see this feature added! how hard can it be?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by amoller (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

There is no central policy for these settings so it up to the end user to switch to whatever they think suites the situation best.

There is a uservoice request that would like to change the default setting to "fit to frame", you can vote for it here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/38578531-mak...

If you want a policy to set this I guess the best way is to create a new uservoice requesting this and they get as many people as possible to vote for it. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com

View solution in original post