Owner is muted in a Team that is owner only posts.

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone

I have a strange issue where I have a Team that has been created and currently has 88 owners and 133 members.

The Team is set to Only Owners can post messages.

I have a user that has been added to the Team as an Owner but their chat and ability to post and reply has been muted and they are unable to post within the Team.

I have removed the user from the Team using the main Teams Admin Portal.  I waited 15 mins and then added them again as an Owner and still they are muted.

I have installed the latest version of the Teams Windows App and still they are muted.

I am also an owner of the Team and I am not muted.  I have found the user in the team and confirmed they are listed as an owner and I don't have the ability to mute / unmute as they are an owner.  The user in question also has access to the channel settings and has the ability to add members etc but the chat is still showing as muted.

The user is an owner of other teams and they are not having this problem with the other Teams, just this particular one.

I don't suppose there is somewhere else that this setting can exist or if there is something that I am potentially unaware of?

Any assistance would be greatly welcome.

Many Thanks

Dan

8 Replies

@DanWilts I have excactly the same problem. Two owners of a Team are muted in the Team channels. I did not find any solution so far. Did you manage to fix the problem meanwhile? 

Exact same!! Anyone found a solution??

E@DanWilts Even i have faced the similar issue . Tried to remove as an owner and again added as member, But still it dint worked. 

Ich habe auch das gleiche Problem. Z.T. konnte ich eine Verbesserung erreichen, wenn ich die Lizenzen des Benutzer weggenommen habe. d.h. Teams Lizenz und danach wieder zugewiesen.

In Office365 diese Lizenz und danach wieder dazu genommen. ...

Funktioniert aber nicht immer.

@DanWilts 

I had the same problem. I tried everything, saw hundred of videos, and today I found a solution!!!!!! I don't know if it will work for you but you can try. I made the user member instead of owner, and I mute and unmute him (This can only be made for members) and then add the user back to being an owner. 5 minutes later the user (owner) was no longer mute. @DanWilts 

@jimenalopez That worked. Thanks.

I tried to make member and muted and unmuted and made owner. Its working. Thank you@jimenalopez 

@DanWilts  I am sure by now you have figured out the solution to this, but this reply is mainly for all the other people who asked in this post and were not answered.

It is a bizarre process that solves this problem. The problem sometimes comes up when teams are being created. Those people who are muted members, when turned into owners, end up remaining muted owners. However, I have seen this glitch occur even when teachers are in a team where students are muted at some point....
Solution:
1. Turn your muted owner into a member. (I realise that for classroom teams, this creates a section in the Class Notebook, but it is unavoidable, you will just have to delete the extra section manually)
2. Mute the former owner, unmute them.

3. Restore them back to owner status and all should be well.

Hope it helps

Nice day.