Outlook add-in and disk activity

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

We have an issue with outlook 2016 (Office 365) and teams Outlook add-in. When Teams add-in is turned on in outlook, disk activity increase, and computer slow down dramatically. We have noticed that the disk activity is in %localappdata%\temp on oulook logging folder and oulook  related logfiles, but we don't have turn on outlook logging.

If we disable the teams add-in, outlook logs files are still created, but with no activity.

Any ideas ?

43 Replies

We are seeing exactly the same behaviour.  With Perfmon running outlook.exe is writing to a db file in %temp% continuously causing disk utilisation by Outlook to be around 75% - 100%.  If I turn off the Teams add-in in Outlook then disk utilisation drops to around 0.1%.  This is causing major impact to users.  We have the latest Office 365 and Teams versions installed.

@Bob_Manning Can you post the exact version of Office and Teams client.

Only because I read this and was alarmed. But, is this monthly channel, semi-annual, etc. Thanks

Mark

@Christophe_DHUYGELAERE 

Getting the same issue.

Have managed to mitigate by setting the two files as read only for now.

attrib +r %appdata%\..\Local\Temp\*.db*

@Mark GarzaWe are using the monthly channel for Office and Teams is latest version.  Had session with Microsoft support today that installed Team 1.2.00.26774 (64 bit), I was using the 32bit Teams Client but this has made no difference.

> Have managed to mitigate by setting the two files as read only for now.

> attrib +r %appdata%\..\Local\Temp\*.db*

Thank you this solved it for me!

For others, step-by-step instructions that worked for me are below.

• Launch an Administrator/Elevated Command Prompt (Instructions on how to do this)
  • Navigate to your working temp directory by entering the following into your elevated command prompt

cd C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Local\Temp

In example directory above replace `user.name` with your windows login name

• Now paste the following and hit Enter key

attrib +r %appdata%\..\Local\Temp\*.db*​

Recommendation from Microsoft Support yesterday was to revert to the semi-annual channel which is not showing this same issue.  I'm reluctant to do this across all my users as there have been several new features introduced in the monthly channel since the last semi-annual channel release so they would lose functionality.

This workaroud is working. But what about removing rights on the db files ? Will it be an issue later with updates ?

Anyone had any further luck with this?

@RyanMNM 

Used the Attrib command to stem the bleeding, but has anyone found a permanent solution to this issue ? 

Anyone had any further luck with finding a permanent solution to this issue ?

@DDJ-215 last i spoke to support when i raised a ticket they said it would be logged as a bug and would be fixed in a future update... when that will come is obviously up to Microsoft!

@RyanMNM ..  his past weekend, I uninstalled Office 32Bit and installed 64 bit.  I will post the group EOW on performance results.. So far today, it has been satisfactory..

@DDJ-215 interesting, the version of teams i have installed is 64Bit and office was 32bit.

Just updating Office to 64 to see if this helps.

we are running into the same issue.  making the .db file read-only worked

@RyanMNM 

Did this fix the high disk usage

Nope, so far the DB fix is the only one that seems to benefit / work.
Is there a more permanent solution for resolving Outlook/Teams link causing 80-1000% system utilization than the work around posted in link below? I ask because this has to be repeated every time Teams updates. Please advise!

Launch an Administrator/Elevated Command Prompt
Navigate to working temp directory by entering the following into your elevated command prompt:
     cd C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Local\Temp

In example directory above replace `user.name` with your windows login name
     Paste (or) Type the following and hit Enter key
      attrib +r %appdata%\..\Local\Temp\*.db*​

This issue is really annoying almost all our users.

We use the workaround but it cames back every week/month/...

We need a patch !

@benpat what version of Teams and Outlook are being run here in this thread. Notice monthly and latest Teams version curious. Thanks.