Outlook add-in and disk activity

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

We have an issue with outlook 2016 (Office 365) and teams Outlook add-in. When Teams add-in is turned on in outlook, disk activity increase, and computer slow down dramatically. We have noticed that the disk activity is in %localappdata%\temp on oulook logging folder and oulook  related logfiles, but we don't have turn on outlook logging.

If we disable the teams add-in, outlook logs files are still created, but with no activity.

Any ideas ?

43 Replies

Hi @Mark Garza 

Teams : 1.3.00.8663 64 bits

Outlook : Version 2004 build 12730.20250

Thanks

@benpat 

Ironically this hit my environment on 5/14/20 and have been using teams for over a year.  We too are on this same version of Outlook and Teams.

@MatthewWarren sorry to ear that...

You can use the attrib command upper in the thread to stop high disk usage but it's not a definitive solution.

What computer do you have ?

Mine are all Dell computers, latitude 5490, 5400 or XPS 7390.

@benpat 

Yep, I confirmed that setting that .db file to read-only does fix it for the time being.  We currently also are a Dell shop but have all Optiplex 5060/7040/7010 here.

I don't think this would be hardware related though, but I suppose it's possible.

So it sounds like the consensus at the moment is that on the next Teams update or new profile getting created, the issue reappears.

@MatthewWarren We were testing the fix up in the thread. We got odd error on the Windows Assessment Console when running performance test. That said, followed up with MS Enterprise Teams representation after sharing the thread. We were directed to open a ticket for MS Outlook vs. Teams. Going forward, if anyone comments on this thread, important to call out Outlook/Teams version. 

That is correct. I have a customer that is experiencing the same thing. When they implement the work-around, the issue reappears after the next update pushed by Microsoft. There is some discussion about how reverting to semi-annual channel status nixes this problem, though there is a lack of consensus whether this forces people to roll back to a previous version or if you can keep the version you have but not get updates as frequently.

Update regarding Outlook add-in and disk activity (specifically disk I/O over-utilization. Microsoft recently put out an update (1.3.00.1266/12516).
Late last week, one of my customers installed 1.3.00.1266/12516 on a test environment to see how well things would work (understandable & diligently reasonable on his part).  The good news is that it appears the update worked on his test system, though it appears that it takes some time for the updates to take effect (I am unsure if it is some sort of provisioning issue related to policy changes or if it had more to do with turning things off after installation, thus rebooting the test system).

The CX still has the following questions:
  • CX concerned that plugin actions (policies) are controlled by Microsoft, so issue endured might happen again.
  • What configuration change was made that effects system performance through this plugin?
  • How can CX make sure new version is pushed to all our systems?
I have forwarded my questions to some technical advisors, though any feedback from anyone else would be welcome.

@JasonGorman 

@Christophe_DHUYGELAERE 

Fyi - we are seeing the high disk usage issue go away with the latest Teams client (version 1.3.00.13565 (64-bit).

@Tim_Mayo 

Have a fresh new Dell XPS 13 7390 out of the box. Teams version 1.3.00.13565 (64 bits) and Office version 2005 (build 12827.20268) and still have 40% of disk usage for an outlook process.

Usage is only 40% because SSD is very fast but still...after days, weeks and months with this disk usage SSD will die prematurely...

@benpat 

After workaround, disk usage is between 0 and 5%

Hi @Tim_Mayo, we are running this version and we are still experiencing the same issue. Some desktops are showing near 1100 iops, all generated by OUTLOOK.EXE. 

Has anyone created a support case with Microsoft about this? Just wondering what the feedback was.

:@ebelange1325 

Yes i did it...6 months ago...and it was closed with a message : "microsoft is working on a patch it will be available soon"...

I'm still waiting...

@JasonGorman, when i go %APPDATA%\local\temp, this folder is empty. 

@ebelange1325 try this one %appdata%\..\Local\Temp

Nothing in there either. Are there specific files I'm looking for? I'm thinking the TEMP location has been relocated with a GPO.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 for Teams (I don't know why, but apparently that's still a thing)? I memory serves, the CX I have been working with is using a 32 bit set up.

I have since been told by our corporate IT that they are aware of the high disk usage problem, which they believe is caused by the "Microsoft Teams Meeting" add-in. I have been told to disable this, which has sorted out the problem and returned disk usage to normal.

we use 64bit

@Lewis-H you right, disable the add-in is a workaround, not a solution !

The add-in is usefull and our users are using it ! So i can't disable it on all my computer. We need a real solution.