Open file in desktop app by default

Iron Contributor

Is there a (custom) way to open office files in the respective office desktop app by default (e.g. Excel)?

mikkele_0-1586356874123.png

At the moment when clicking on the file it opens in Teams

mikkele_1-1586356935000.png

51 Replies

Thanks @mparkins690 

Where do you get to this menu?

@mparkins690 

This only helps if you open the document from SharePoint. If somebody open a document directly from the Teams interface, it still opens in the browser.  This solution is not adequate for our needs.

Following the link, there's no evidence that anything is actually going to be done.
I spoke to someone in the Teams engineering group who said that this is being worked on! She made it sound like it is close to being done!

@scottr23 That is good news. That means that they are putting the same priority on this that they have for years, given it is not the first time rumour have it that they are working on it and it is close to being done.

But thanks for the update :)

Hello, I didn't get a notification so I saw your post only because I read Arvids reply. Well, if they weren't gonna implement this functionality they wouldn't have changed the status to "Working on it" it would have been changed to "Declined".

@scottr23 any updates?

@LWildsMy work around has been to sync the teams folder to file explorer through OneDrive.

@mikkele comming soon :) 

This is now apparently available in Public Preview, We are unable to get Public Preview to work here so I can't verify. But I guess this means it's soon (?) available for all users.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-teams-will-soon-let-users-choose-where-to-open-office-files

@ChristianJBergstrom 

Thanks! So September it is then.

I'm not sure. I don't have Teams admin privileges, but my admin has created a new update policy in order to enable PP for both his user and mine. None of us can see the option to enable Public Preview though. 

@odenil Hello, tell your admin to use PowerShell and verify the -AllowPublicPreview and the -AllowPreview parameter using Get-CsTeamsUpdateManagementPolicy cmdlet. The former is probably not enabled and the latter is probably set to "False" and need to be set to "True", but these settings also depends on your org. setup and needs.

ChristianJBergstrom_0-1628769913621.png

Thank you! I have forwarded the info.
No worries. You can read more about it here where you'll also see that the "AllowPreview" will be deprecated eventually.

https://office365itpros.com/2021/07/02/teams-public-preview-office-current-channel/

There are several posts that say when you open a file from Teams it opens in Teams, but a few days ago all my files started opening in the app, not in Teams. Was this an MS change and

How do I change that back?

Is there any way for admin to globally set the default for the whole organisation to open documents in the desktop app by default?

@mikkele The feature is going to be available for everybody pretty soon. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-public-preview/now-in-teams-public-preview-de... I have seen it working but I myself am still waiting for it to reach me. 

@mikkele Check out my video demonstration on how to always have Office files in Teams open in the desktop app.

NathanChamberlain_0-1633718571871.png

I also blogged about it here if you'd prefer that format. Basically you can choose each time for a file where to have it open (right-click > open > choice), or change your settings (ellipsis in upper right corner) to have all files use their corresponding app.