SOLVED

Office protected files cannot be open inside Teams Client

Brass Contributor

Hi,

We have a customer that is using AIP for protecting and encrypting files and power bi dashboards inside Microsoftt Teams. However if they tried to open an excel or work file with Teams Client they are unable to do it and need to open in the desktop client. 

With Power Bi they cannot see the dasboard that is added to a teams file.

Is there any workaround for this or anything in the roadmap?

Thanks in advance.

RM

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Ricardo Mendes This article has the information you need to implement this functionality: Enable sensitivity labels for Office files in SharePoint and OneDrive. Note however that I'm not sure whether it applies to Power BI dashboards.

@Ryan Steele thanks for your feedback. In fact this is already applied to the customer. However on the limitations I found this:

"If a labeled document is uploaded to SharePoint and the label applied encryption by using an account from a service principal name, the document can't be opened in Office on the web. Example scenarios include Microsoft Cloud App Security and a file sent to Teams by email."

So I assume that this could be the reason for the issue. I am not aware if this is something that is in the roadmap or if there is any workardound for.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Ricardo Mendes This article has the information you need to implement this functionality: Enable sensitivity labels for Office files in SharePoint and OneDrive. Note however that I'm not sure whether it applies to Power BI dashboards.

View solution in original post