SOLVED

Number to Username Translation, Is it possible?

Brass Contributor

Hello, 

pardon me for the stupid question. Been tinkering with how I can work with extension dialing in msteams, and found out I can utilize tenant dialplan to tranlsate 3-4 digits to DID. The problem is, not all users in a tenant will be assigned DID. So that's why I wonder if there is a way to do translation from number to username. 

If there isn't, what is the best approach to solve the aforementioned problem? 

Thank you in advance and have a very great day. 

9 Replies
Hi,

there is no number to username translation. Users get a number with phone system to be reachable from the PSTN (calling plan and direct routing). If your users try to reach each other internally they should use the search or contact list to reach them. This would initiate a conversation based on the username (UPN).
A concept when multiple users share the same number externally and have an own internal extension is not available in Teams.

Regards,

Paul

Hi @Paul Lange 

Thank you for replying. 

You are absolutely right. The question arose because I am trying to integrate legacy pbx system with msteams phone system direct routing. It is not a matter of technical but merely because of old habits die hard from the seniors. I am wondering if there is a way to workaround or if there is best approach for the extensions calling between the systems before convincing them to purchase more DIDs. 

best response confirmed by godril (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@godril I've just performed a little science experiment. I ran the following PowerShell command for a user in our tenant which does not have a PSTN assigned:

Set-CsUser -Identity userwithnopstn@example.com -OnPremLineURI tel:1234

I then dialed "1234" from Teams and the call was successfully routed to the user. So yes, it does seem it should be possible. 

Ok. Understood.
If I understand you correctly you are using Calling Plan and Direct Routing at the same time. Do you plan to have Direct Routing for users or just to integrate the PBX users?
What you can test is that you build a dialplan with normalization rules that normalize the extension range of the PBX to e.164 and Route it via the SBC to your PBX. To my knowledge, this should also work for users having a calling plan. 
The other way around (PBX User -> Calling Plan User) would then also be routed via the SBC.

Edit:

The attached picture shows nearly what you are trying to accomplish. 

Hi @Ryan Steele

Why on earth didnt I think of this before!?  So basically it can accept any type of numbers, and not just E164 and I dont have to enable EnterpriseVoice? Must try this first thing in Monday morning. Thank you very much.

Have a very nice weekend.  

Hi @Paul Lange 

thank you for replying on the weekend. 

I actually only do direct routing for the users besides integrating the legacy PBX. I think this idea is the same path with what @Ryan Steele mentioned. Will surely try this too. Thank you thank you thank you.  

@godril I believe the account does need to be licensed for Phone System and have Enterprise Voice enabled. I will also mention that we are using Calling Plans exclusively and haven't implemented Direct Routing, so I'm not sure whether that would make any difference for your scenario.

@Ryan Steele 

I tried assign such extension to an account, and make sure the dialed number would not be sent to sbc by adding Normalization with option -IsInternalExtension $true .  But somehow it still went out to sbc. I think it is caused by the CsOnlineVoiceRoute which the pattern is set to  .*   

I will try to find the best time to mess with the Phone System config later. 

Hi @Ryan Steele

just want to update with the tinkering. In the Direct Routing I have to Set-CsUser with OnpremlineURI tel: +1001 . It needs to be E164 formatted. From there on I just have to create Tenant Normalization rule and set IsInternalExtension to $false (at first my pbx mindset automatically make $true and it didnt work). And then adding some rule in the SBC for intercall with other PBX as @Paul Lange  suggested. 

So thanks again for the clue.  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by godril (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@godril I've just performed a little science experiment. I ran the following PowerShell command for a user in our tenant which does not have a PSTN assigned:

Set-CsUser -Identity userwithnopstn@example.com -OnPremLineURI tel:1234

I then dialed "1234" from Teams and the call was successfully routed to the user. So yes, it does seem it should be possible. 

View solution in original post