SOLVED

Not able to set-up live call with bluetooth headset

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

I know there are a lot of topics about Bluetooth headset support for MS Teams, but my problem seems to be slightly different. 

I'm using Teams for 6 months now and most of that time I used it with a Jabra Bluetooth headset. I didn't had any problems with it. Except for the fact I wasn't able to set-up a direct Teams call with a colleague. Everytime I tried to do so, I got the "Sorry, we could not connect you" error. In that moment, my colleague was already hearing me. But I did not hear him. The call then automatically disconnects. When my colleague calls be back, the connection works instantly.

This problem does not occur when I'm checking in on a planned Teams meeting. Then my connection works fine, right from the start.

I hoped it had something to do with my Jabra headset, but I'm using a Sony WH1000xm4  for a few weeks now. And unfortunately, with exactly the same problem. 

I've tried to change all kinds of settings, and off course, configuring the headset as default device (speaker and microphone) in the devices config panel of Teams.

Also tried the "Make a test call" numerous times (devices config panel), also works right from the start. And I went to other places with my laptop, to see if it could have something to do with my internet connection. But the problem remains.

When I'm not using a Bluetooth headset, a direct call works instantly the first time. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi,

This sounds more like a network issue than a device issue. When you called your colleague were you in the same office or inside the same network? Teams will try to call directly between your two devices first and if that is not possible it will try via a relay server. When you connect to a meeting you connect directly to Teams servers.

You could test the network connectivity from your computer to Teams servers with an tool called Teams Testing Companion. http://bit.ly/teamsntc

@Linus Cansby Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm still not really sure what the exact problem was, but this tool confirmed something was wrong with my connection. And it didn't had anything to do  with my bluetooth devices.

In summary, I'm working from home for a few months now. What I've done yesterday to find the solution:

1. I've installed Teams (clean install, never used) on my home Mac to verify it had something to do with my network. And indeed, I still wasn't able to set up a direct call.

2. I switched my work laptop from wifi to 4G, to exclude my own network. Direct calls possible!

3. I did the same at my Mac. Direct calls possible.

4. Switched back on both devices to wifi. Direct calls possible!

I'm not really sure where / which incorrect information was cached, but I'm really glad that I've finally fixed it. Thanks again for your help! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi,

This sounds more like a network issue than a device issue. When you called your colleague were you in the same office or inside the same network? Teams will try to call directly between your two devices first and if that is not possible it will try via a relay server. When you connect to a meeting you connect directly to Teams servers.

You could test the network connectivity from your computer to Teams servers with an tool called Teams Testing Companion. http://bit.ly/teamsntc

View solution in original post