SOLVED

Not able to see Background Effects in Microsoft Teams

Copper Contributor

Hello Fellas,

Have been struggling from last few days, trying to find solution for problem in finding the option of Change Background while in the call. I have uninstalled desktop app, reinstalled latest version. It is not even creating the folder in the apps data. Can some one help. I am on (You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.8663 (64-bit). It was last updated on 5/1/20), with Windws 10 on Lenova Yoga Book. tea

62 Replies
I think is a problem with your computer, because I have the same issue in my laptop (Windows 10), but I tried in a Mac and it's works fine.
We have had the same issues on some of our users computers. Plus on some computers the GIFs don't show in chat conversations.

@Anubhav1270 

To be able to set background effects you need to be using the desktop client on a PC or Mac. If you couldn’t use the background blur feature on your computer previously, this feature won’t be able to you now, as it requires a modern CPU that supports AVX2.

If you don’t have the background effects option yet but do have background blur – don’t worry, the feature will arrive in your client. If you want to see if it’s ready to download, select your profile picture in the top right-hand corner, then from the menu choose Check for updates.

Check out this article; https://practical365.com/teams-2/microsoft-teams-rolls-out-background-effects-heres-how-you-can-set-...

I’m in Windows 10 and I have Teams version 1.3.00.4461 (64-bit). It was last updated on 5/2/20. I do not have the background effects feature. I don’t understand why. The backgrounds folder is not in my computer.

@HIPRM As said in the post you replied to, you also need to have a laptop that supports a certain hardware capability in the CPU called AVX2, if you laptop is more than about 5 years old, or is very basic, then it's probably doesn't have the hardware required.

@Steven Collier - thanks, yeah I have a fairly recent laptop from Dell.  It has a 7th gen Intel process and was made in 2018.  Since I am able to use the blur feature, I know I have AVX2.

@HIPRMSame problem here....Lenovo Thinkpad T480 with AVX2, Blur effect it's OK, but I don´t have the background effects...

@FranciscoLopez - I have a Dell Latitude 3390 2-in-1.  I'm using 64-bit Teams version  1.3.00.4461.  What version are you on?  When I try to update it says I have the latest version.

@HIPRM Tiene la versión 1.3.00.8663 (64 bits) de Microsoft Teams. Se actualizó por última vez el 1/5/20.

Tiene la versión 1.3.00.12058 (64 bits) de Microsoft Teams. Se actualizó por última vez el 4/5/20.

@ConnieClarkMissionyour message is about 1 month ago, I have the latest version but I see blur yet, not background effects.

updates are coming slowly. Just try to update again.

I have a problem . In my ms teams background effect option is not showing , what to do

I was able to fix mine. My PC was missing the Backgrounds folder. You can simply create this folder following the guide called out in this post:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-custom-backgrounds-microsoft-teams

Folder is noted under the section with the heading: "How to upload a custom background in Microsoft Teams (old way)"
I should note that I also dropped my custom background snapshot in the sub-directory noted.

@ConnieClarkMission 

Good Day

I am struggling for the past two weeks in teaching my students, because the "show background effects" is not there in the three dots menu in teams. I came across your explanation for why I don't have this option.

Can you help me to know which computers support the AVX graphics. I was searching for a laptop which support AVX, and all what I found does not state this action. Most of the laptops have graphic cards such as (nVidia GeForcer) or (intel HD Graphics 615) or (Radeon graphic processor).  They does not indicate whether they support the AVX or not.

I will appreciate it if you will have any answer for me.

Regards

Drlangawi

I fixed it just by switching the camera in custom set up and after that the option just came back. and i switched to my default camera again

Hi @Anubhav1270 !

If you are not able to view your background effects in MST, Try Updating it manually. Or press Ctrl+comma, and then select general and then go down and check on "Turn on New Meeting Experience"
Thanks

Cyber :)

@Anubhav1270  which pc you have i think its problem with your pc

which pc you have i think its problem with your pc because same problem with ,me
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Anubhav1270 Remove your webcam from device manager and re-install it. This should solve the issue.

View solution in original post