Not able to blurr background in teams, In Skype no problem at all!

Copper Contributor

I bought a Microsoft Lifecan business edition because this should work fine if you want to blurr the background in teams. I just found out this is not the case.

I can NOT blurr the background. I can not find the other option to change the background. 

Very disapointing as it is automaticaly oke if I use skype. 

My question: How come Skype can blurr my background without any problems and in teams nothing at all is possible??

See the screenshot of my teams menu. (is in Dutch) 

11 Replies

@JE_60 Hello Jan, does it work if not using the cam? What Teams version are you using?

Perhaps you're using a Teams app that's not been updated. First, sign out manually and sign in again. If no difference try delete the Teams cache located at AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams (you can be selective here but just delete the entire Teams folder). If no difference, reinstall the Teams app.

Download Microsoft Teams

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/download-app?rtc=1

Hardware requirements for Microsoft Teams

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app

@ChristianBergstrom 

I followed your guideline:

First, sign out manually and sign in again.  Done: No effect

delete the Teams cache : Done No effect

reinstall the Teams app. : How to best do this?? Simply delete the app ?

@JE_60 Hello, just as you would remove another application from your computer e.g. "add/remove program". You didn't answer if it's working without your cam?

I would like to highlight this part from my previous attached link

"The optional Blur my background video effect requires a processor with Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) support. See Hardware decoder and encoder driver recommendations for a list of unsupported decoders and encoders."

No its not working without my cam. the computer is a Acer-Aspire with a intel-core-i7 processor. Bought the machine in 2012 .
Updated it from windows 7 tot windows 10.

@JE_60 OK, if a re-installation of Teams doesn't do it either I am afraid your machine is not meeting the necessary hardware requirements for the backgrounds effect.

@ChristianBergstrom 

How come Skype can do the trick without any problems? If they can do it, the Software-team of Microsoft-teams should be able to incorperate this feature also in the Teams app for most computers out there in the world?? Not just the newer machines??

For the blurr effect I bought this Microsoft-webcam. It was recomended for the perfect compatability with Teams. 

Bad advice if you ask me. They never mentioned that there was a limitation to this blurr effect in combination with your computer.

But thanks for your advice.

@JE_60 I assume a re-install didn't work either. I hear you and understand the frustration but I'm working within hospital and healthcare with no association to Microsoft. Just in the community trying to assist whenever I can!

Hi @JE_60 - For some reason Microsoft removed the capability recently if you are running AVX1.0 hardware. I had the same issue with my iMac, it was working until a few weeks ago then found out Teams can only support this feature on AVX2.0. I am unsure why they have continued to support AVX1.0 in Skype, it’s very frustrating!

@rachelcackleberry 

Its a cheap sales or marketing trick to urge people to buy a new computer. A profit driven step I think.

@JE_60 Normally I'd agree but they see no profit from this really because it's a hardware issue, not software. There are too many non-MS machines out there to blame it on that. I don't have the links handy but if you look it up there are at least 3 UserVoice threads about the deprecation and you can upvote for them to support AVX1.0 again