SOLVED

No more background blur

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I just bought a Logitech Brio 4k webcam. At first tested on my laptop everything seems great.

Now plugged in to my workstation I had during one meeting the possibility to blur my background but now the option is gone :(

I tried to log out and in of Teams, reinstalled Teams, removed and reinstalled the driver, uninstalled every logitech software to use the native logitech BRIO cam given by the W10 driver but nothing seems to work...

Do you have any clue how to fix this ?

Annotation 2020-03-19 004751.png

Many thanks

43 Replies

@Thierry Barthel - I have exactly the same issue. Logitech Brio when first installed background blur was available and worked perfectly - next day capability has disappeared. Have tried most of what you have tried including log out and in to teams and still no good.

@Thierry BarthelYes I have exactly the same with a lifecam HD-3000 from MS. Yesterday the blur stopped working. The day before it was all fine. Perhaps it is related to an update of my teams desktop version. I noticed it was updated. Love to know a work around or fix :(

I wonder if this might relate to the current disruptions of the Teams service!
I don't think so, a lot collegues with laptops don't have this problem. It seems a system with an external webcam has issues.

@Paul650   I have a Dell Precision M6700 blur background was working 2 days ago, now it doesn't show anymore...

I'm almost happy that I'm not the only one with this issue.

I even tried to fully reinstalled Windows 10 but nothing work !
best response confirmed by Thierry Barthel (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Thierry Barthel I actually did some digging - blur does have a technical requirement :

The optional Blur my background video effect requires a processor with Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) support. (Taken from here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app)

My PC that I am facing this issue on has an older CPU that doesn't have AVX2.

Potentially this technical requirement may not have been enforced previously but that may have changed it seems but it explains why i don't have the capability any longer - works fine on my other devices that have this capability.

How about the machine you are working from?

@Trevor_Page Looking closely to the spec of my i7-3770k it only support AVX and not the AVX2.

So I will need to replace my CPU, motherboard and RAM to blur my background..... :facepalm:

Do you think there is a way to find a workaround to this silly limitation ?

Could the other in trouble confirm if your CPU is AVX2 compatible ?

@Thierry BarthelI also have an old i7 and only supporting AVX. Strange thing that enforcing this AVX2 started a couple days ago. I tried an old team desktop version, but the same result, no blur any more.

@Thierry Barthel Exactly the same here. I have a Dell M6700 Precision, lastest drivers,  Windows 10 pro and Office 365 E3.

Bought a Logitech Brio ultra 4K camera I have now windows hello thanks, but not blur in Microsoft Teams.

Is it a windows driver or is it not "MS Teams certified" ??

@Paul650 I have the exact same issue (3770k) with a Logitech StreamCam.

It worked fine for a day or two, and then it stopped working.

I'm not sure I understand why though. Since it used to work on my 3770k, did they changed the algorithm, or is this requirement enforcing unnecessary ?

Same year,

Worked until the very latest client update and now its gone.

I also consider this restriction quite silly as the CPU load for this feature was almost not measureable. And my PC is for sure not up to date CPU-wise.

Pls reconsider this action.

Yes, please fix this for external webcam users.

I'm a teacher suddenly finding myself working remotely. I've been using my district issued laptop for teleconferencing in Teams and I'm very surprised to find that when connected in Microsoft Teams the blur background feature does not work with the brand new external webcam I just bought so I could use my home desktop instead. 

From the responses I'm reading on this post, I see it may be partly due to the age of my computer. (It's been rebuilt several times.) However, I also see that the feature WAS working for people until just recently. 

I suppose it's not a deal breaker since at least I get to get rid of the box on my desk that the laptop is sitting on and everything can be done on one computer now but as a personal preference, I like the background blur feature. I'm kinda bummed that it won't work for me now. 

Now I have to pretty up my desk behind me and keep it clutter free. ::sigh:: 

@Trevor_Page Thank you for the info. I would not be grumpy if everyone had been saying that older CPUs always meant that you couldn't use the feature but the fact that it WAS working previously is rather irritating. 

So there is one more entry in the list of why I need to buy a new computer I suppose... 'cause I don't think we are getting back into my school building again this year and remote teaching is now my life whether I want it or not. I'm not sure this old heap is gonna be able to take the strain. Heap meaning both the poster and the computer she is typing on naturally. 

@Trevor_Page 

I have a Ryzeb 2700x CPU it supports  AVX2 but I dont see the blur background anyways I have a Logitech C615 webcam 

same here, worked just fine until latest update. That it gets removed when now a lot more people are forced to use Teams due to remote working is really, really bad timing from Microsoft and doesn't help us. At all.

What a joke! Why would they remove this from us... Also on the i7 3770.

Please up-vote my uservoice suggestion:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/908686-bug-reports/suggestions/40115269-blur-option-disa...

Note it may not be live yet as it is being reviewed, not sure how long the reviews generally take.

@denishay 

I will clarify, the option is available in the windows desktop version but not in the web version

@ArnoldasM Sorry to contradict, but I am using the desktop version, and no it it not available anymore. It used to be there and worked fine

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Thierry Barthel (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Thierry Barthel I actually did some digging - blur does have a technical requirement :

The optional Blur my background video effect requires a processor with Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) support. (Taken from here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app)

My PC that I am facing this issue on has an older CPU that doesn't have AVX2.

Potentially this technical requirement may not have been enforced previously but that may have changed it seems but it explains why i don't have the capability any longer - works fine on my other devices that have this capability.

How about the machine you are working from?

View solution in original post