No longer able to add team members

Copper Contributor

Hi MS Teams community,

I am managing a Team of about 50 people from different organisations and companies. As an owner of the team I am responsible for all members within the team. Since a while I was no longer able to add new members as "members" but only as "guests". People only having the status as "guest" have no such issues with their accounts in different teams but only in mine. Is there a reason why I can no longer add "members" to my team?

Thanks in advance,

Max

5 Replies
Hi @agrotech-valley

Thanks for raising

1.) Does this happen across desktop and web app (teams.microsoft.com)?
2.) Can you workaround it using the mobile app?
3.) Are you using the paid version within a commercial Office 365 licence or the free version?

Let me know how you get on?

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

thanks for your Response.

1) It does happen both with the Desktop and the web app.

2) I cannot work around it using the mobile app

3) I'm Using MS Office Standard 2016

best,

Max

Sorry, are you using the free or paid version of Teams?

In consideration you cannot add members to the team as an owner, I would personally raise a ticket to Microsoft support. As far as I am aware, it shouldn't have a limit of 50 even if you have the free version

Best, Chris
This sounds like you are using free Teams, and you are not maked as a Tenant owner in the Organization. You can add guests because you are owners of Teams, but in free Teams you must be the Org / global type admin in order to add "members".

It could help if you showed some screenshots, we can tell which version from that.
I use various versions of Teams across different scenarios and this helped me to figure out what was happening in the free version of Teams. I had originally created the Organization with a special user account but also added my normal user account as owner to the team. I then usually logged in with my normal user account so I can switch between different organizations since that user account is common in the different organizations. In Teams for Education you can add members as long as you one of the owners of the team (for private teams). I couldn't figure out why I couldn't add members in the free version. So thank you for this.