SOLVED

No email notifications for personal mentions

Brass Contributor

We have just moved to Teams from Skype. Many users who are unfamiliar with Teams are not in the habit of opening the app first thing in the morning or simply leaving it open.

As such it would seem to me that the only way to prompt users into joining a Teams conversation would be to at-mention them. According to the default notification settings this is supposed to generate an email to the user telling them they have been mentioned in a conversation.

This does not seem to be working. I have run tests myself by closing Teams and having a colleague at-mention me but all I get is a banner and no email. My 'Missed activity emails' setting is currently set to 'As soon as possible'.

15 Replies

Email will only be sent out in case you are inactive in Teams. You getting a banner means you are not and no emails will be sent out!

@SeanS 

What do you mean by 'inactive'? If the app is open or not?
I Dont know the exact times, but leaving the computer and after a couple of minutes counts as inactive!
@Chris Webb
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Yeah. Email notifications only work when you are signed out or inactive and In away status for roughly five minutes. If you see the banner then your at your computer and it knows.

Lock the computer and go away from it for five then send an at mention.

@Chris WebbYeah this is not working for me. No notifications coming into email. I left my computer for 30 mins at lunch and received no notifications.

Yeah, I'm starting to think @mentions aren't working or e-mail in general, I @ mentioned some new users I trained yesterday and they weren't logged into Teams and they never got that e-mail for the @mention, unless default is set for 1 hour frequency which means they would have to wait over an hour for an e-mail to come in, if they check Teams in that hour it won't send... Guess i'll test with my other tenant and see what's going on.

@Chris WebbI feel like this functionality was working at one time but is no longer doing so

It was, that's why I'm thinking it might have broke.
FYI, I duplicated this issue as well. I reported it through my channels, but I suggestion also creating a Support ticket as well.

@Chris Webb I think I got the same issue. I test the "Missed activity emails" with "as soon as possible " and "once every 10 minus", but neither of them work,  no email notifications. This was work about a month ago. 

That doesn't say anything related to the issue. The @mention notifications and that whole section it's talking about is the Native federation. Those features are for talking with other Teams users outside the org. You can now do all those things to @mention and them basically get an activity feed notice on their end etc.

@Chris WebbI figured that was it but you may be right - my tests are still coming up with nothing.

Seems like this has been resolved.

Where? Where has this been resolved? MS took out email notifications from the notifications setting in Teams.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Yeah. Email notifications only work when you are signed out or inactive and In away status for roughly five minutes. If you see the banner then your at your computer and it knows.

Lock the computer and go away from it for five then send an at mention.

View solution in original post