SOLVED

New Teams Meeting in Outlook with multiple accounts

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I don't know if this problem is related to Teams or Outlook/Exchange so if is not appropriate here could be ignored or deleted.

I have to manage Teams meetings for two accounts. Because in the MS Teams app will be impossible to log-off/log-on each time, maybe a "switch account" command would be usefull :), I have tried to use the Outlook calendar and the "New Teams Meeting" option.

The problem is that this option is "fixed" for the account logged on Teams app. No matter which calendar I have selected, it would create the "Join" link for a single tenant/account. If I logon with another user in the Teams app then restart Outlook, will generate join links for the other account/tenant.

Is there an easier way to "switch" Teams account or use the Oulook option for schedule meetings instead of using "in private" browser windows where I don't have a general view of both calendars?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

18 Replies

Hi,

You can delegate the rights to create meetings from one account to the other. So User A allows User B to schedule their Teams meetings.

I wrote a blog article about this

https://www.lync.se/2020/02/meeting-delegation/

Hi @Linus Cansby

Thank you for your message and I apologize I did not explain correctly.

I am the user to need to manage appointments for two accounts in two different companies/tenants.

I have an account in "contoso.com" domain and another account in "adventureworks.com" domain so delegation is not possible in this case.

And using the Outlook client would be easier to manage calendar for both companies but it seems not possible because the join link is "fixed" to only one tenant.

It it possible in this case to do some Teams Scheduling easier?

Kind Regards,

Lucian

best response confirmed by LucianC (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Okay, I see. Then maybe using the Teams calendar is the best option for you. You will not be able to see both calendars at the same time but you will be able to schedule Teams meetings in the correct tenant. 

https://www.lync.se/2020/03/teams-calendar/

You can use the Teams Web Application for one of the accounts and the desktop client for the other Teams account. https://teams.microsoft.com

Could you help me please

@LucianC 

Could you help me please with my login password for the glow please thank you 

Hi Linus,

And thank you for confirmation... it seems I've already using the "best" option... I hoped to be more like the Outlook account - when you select a mailbox and create a new message to send the message using that mailbox address but it seems with Teams is another story. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Lucian

@LucianC

I faced this challenge myself. Let me preface with, I am a Mac user and I'm not sure to what extent the Outlook client for Mac varies. With that said, I own a MSP and frequently work with multiple domains. I often want to send or receive email as helpdesk@contoso.com or helpdesk@adventuresports.com. Initially, I followed the recommended path of shared or delegated privileges. I ran into several limitations as in the Teams scenario. 

To work around, instead of using the shared/delegate model, I added each helpdesk@contoso.com, helpdesk@adventuresports.com, etc as accounts in Outlook. I get all the functionality and none of the limitations. I will send a Teams invite as my business account, and a minute later send a Teams invite as helpdesk@contoso.com, and then xxx@xxx.com

I've also found that it is helpful to have separate *.ost files for larger mailboxes. Microsoft says it doesn't make a difference but with large mailboxes 40GB+ I have issues far more often using delegate access. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

Best, 

TAB

Hi @tmabaker ,

Thank you for your suggestion but it seems that it does not apply to me, either because of "Outlook for Windows", either I'm just a "lucky" guy. :smile:

I have already added all of my accounts to Outlook and the messaging part is working without any problem - replying to a message into one account will automatically complete the email address of that account.

But my Office 365/Teams tenants are personalized so even the meeting will go to proper calendar when using the "New Teams Meeting" button, the part below the "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" will be personalized from a single tenant - the one I'm logged on Teams Desktop App.

Maybe for the Mac, they did a better integration, and with all the updates that came to Teams in the last period, maybe they'll work better with Outlook integration.

Kind Regards,

Lucian  

@LucianC  - great explanation of the issue!  I have the exact same problem. Writing back to let others know the issue isn't an isolated problem. Also, hoping to hear back if the problem is ever resolved.

I agree that a "switch" accounts or the ability to select an account when creating a Teams meeting in outlook would be very useful.

Cheers,

Steve

@LucianC 

I have this exact problem also. Multiple tenants with Teams. All accounts added within Outlook, but when I try to create a Teams mtg from an email that wasn't the first email associated in Outlook, it appears on that email account calendar, but the meeting looks like it is actually hosted on the first account's Teams tenant. I get "someone will invite you in" when I am the organizer.  

Christine

@Symnoian I have the exaxt same problem and would really like a drop-down on the create Teams meeting in outlook, where I could select the account to use.

@jlk100 same problem, multiple accounts in Outlook (windows, o365 E3) simply does not work. It gives a permission error: "Looks like you don't have permissions to schedule meetings for this account. Talk to the owner to get permission and try again."

Hi, I too have the same issue that only the 1 Teams login is used for which ever account is logged into Outlook when booking calendar appoitments.

As indicated above and I have confirmed with colleagues, it seems that this does work for Mac Outlook, it is just Windows Outlook that does not work.

The joys of Microsoft managing different having different (but the same) applications across different OS!

Would love this to be fixed - maybe when I retire Microsoft will get setup for supplier for work for many companies!

@LucianC 

I don't know if you solved this, but I found that opening only the calendar I want to use selects that company for the TEAMS meeting.  Alternatively if more than one calendar is open, it selects the first one.

I hope this helps.

@CliveC2185, I can't reproduce that behavior. Let's say I have 2 Microsoft 365 tenants I support, A and B. In Teams, I'm signed in to tenant A. In Outlook, I can see both calendars for A and B, create meeting from whichever calendar is currently selected (with all visible at the same time no problem). However, even if I close Calendar for tenant A, so only the calendar for tenant B is visible, when I create a new meeting in Outlook in the one remaining calendar, then hit the button for Teams Meeting, it' creates it using the active Tenant in Teams, Tenant A. 

Similarly, if Teams is currently signed in to Tenant B, there is no way to create the meeting invite link in the Outlook meeting create a link for Tenant A. The ONLY way to do it as far as I can tell, is to sign out of one tenant and back into the new one in Teams BEFORE hitting the Teams Meeting button in the Outlook Meeting invite.

Microsoft has not fixed this and it's still critical failing of Teams for only support 1 Microsoft 365 Tenant at a time, and the Outlook integration makes this much worse, because you can partially solve the Teams sign-in limitation by also opening a web window for the other Tenant(s), but that doesn't help with calendar invites started in Outlook. 

@LucianC 

I figure the same problem, this is completely annoying.

I was wondering if there is any option to somehow (what ever way) "adjust" the teams plugin? Because the connection to the "wrong" teams/office account will be most likely established through the plugin.

I made a test ... created a new outlook profile, with only 1 mail account (bla@1.com >specifically that mail/teams account where I figure that issue). Hence the 2nd (blubb@2.com) account, where teams meetings are always connected to, is not in that profile. Outcome: still the same issue. I create a teams meeting in the bla@1.com account, but the teams meeting itself will be created in blubb@2.com (which you can see when you follow the meeting options link).

I need to say: blubb@2.com is that company account, which is connected to the laptop/the windows account. bla@1 is the additionall account. I cannot use bla@1 as windows account, but I want to use bla@1 teams as the master.

Hope somebody has an idea. Creating meetings via teams itself is possible, but not nice.

@schreckeI am having a similar, not identical problem. 

An interview calendar invitation to my personal email address automatically went into my work calendar when I accepted it.

It doesn't look good to the company interviewing me and definitely doesn't look good to my existing employers!

@LucianC I have exactly the same issue. I have to use the web teams client instead of the desktop one and create/ join meetings from that. Clunky way to work but it seems to work for me. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LucianC (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Okay, I see. Then maybe using the Teams calendar is the best option for you. You will not be able to see both calendars at the same time but you will be able to schedule Teams meetings in the correct tenant. 

https://www.lync.se/2020/03/teams-calendar/

You can use the Teams Web Application for one of the accounts and the desktop client for the other Teams account. https://teams.microsoft.com

View solution in original post