SOLVED

My Laptop shuts down during TEAMS calls

Copper Contributor

Like few other collogues I'm using a new Lenovo L13 Yoga. We are using Microsoft TEAMS as our formal application for conference and video calls.
Recently we started facing a "random" issue in which after some time in the call, the computer shuts down. the shut down accrues without a warning and it is a brute force shutdown i.e. without a safe close of all applications. It is as if you were pressing a long press on the power button.
We tried to reinstall TEAMS and to make sure that our laptops are working with the latest update, with no change.

Did anyone ever faced this phenomenon?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

145 Replies
That might be the best, or wait to see the outcome of this investigation to see if it provides relief for you as well. Do you know if this problem just started recently for you as well? Do you have a windows restore point before such date? Do you ever see the issue if you use Teams in the web client instead of the desktop client?

@Brad Wilson 
This has been happening since February, I have only one restore point, but unfortunately, that's in March.

I've tried teams web but sometimes the image freeze, I can hear people typing and talking, but the screen gets stuck(frozen), so that's why I use the complete APP

As the most effective fix so far is limiting the CPU, right now I'll try to underpower the CPU(i7-10510U), setting both POWER MAX and short power max to 10W on intel XTU as this is listed on ARK as Configurable TDP-down. (+ the 99% CPU max CPU state)

Since we are talking about CPU, I do remember that bios 1.15 had some CVE mitigations for the CPU.
Effectively this changed the CPU microcode. MAYBE what was a happy working CPU now gets mad with some specific teams instructions and shuts the entire system down.

Anyway, as most people here think this is a driver issue, maybe it is a bios/hardware one.

#Edit----
Can't install Bios 1.14 as there's anti-rollback enabled
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/r16uj12w.txt

Would be nice if Lenovo/IBM joins the thread too

#Edit 2 ----
This is not a temperature problem, CPU gets stable at 78-82°C on my workload(even hit some temps as 95°C on stress tests). Shutdowns happen when temp is below or at 65°C 

We have the exact same problem with all of our brand new Lenovo T590. Lenovo is also involved in this case. The suggested fixes here didn't help. The Lenovo Support engineer is also investigating arround the Thermal Solution Driver and the Power settings.
Similar issue here. Affected product is X1 Yoga 3rd gen. Immediate random shutdown. Mobo changed, no result.

I can confirm that we're having the same problem, using Lenvo Thinkpad T490 machines. The machines (only)crash during Teams meetings and simply shut themselves down.
We think it only happens when connected to external monitors ( which is how 80% of the people work ) and it does NOT happen if it's only running on the laptop monitor itself ( not connected to external monitor ) and on the battery ( not connected to AC adapter ). Really frustrating!!

E14(intel) here, One of my first thought was that it was related AC adapter, so I've tried to use only the battery, but then it happened too :(
Unfortunately, shutdowns happen even when using laptop screen only (but its something you should test anyway since its a different model)

By the way, reducing CPU TDP to 10W did in fact reduce my shutdowns to around 50% of the time but it still happens
Hi folks - working with Lenovo here on the side to validate the root cause of this issue. Can you all validate if the following works for a machine that consistently experiences this behavior?

1. Enter BIOS setup (upon boot)
2. Press F9 for “Setup Defaults”
3. Select F10 to save and exit
4. See if the issue replicates.

Thanks!
It's been 3 days without a shutdown, it's a little early to say it has solved the problem, but hey, I was getting around 1 shutdown a day, so we might be on the right track :D
Unfortunately today it shut down after bios reset.
I've stopped starving CPU to 10W only and I'm letting it use up to 25W in turbo boost short power max(Intel XTU). I don't know if this conflicts with windows' power options 99% CPU, but except for teams, it runs pretty fine.
Same issue here with my relatively new L13 Yoga. Answering a call in Teams sometimes causes it to power off about 3 seconds after answering.
It happens almost every time if I am connected over RDP to the L13 laptop from another computer. When I try to answer a Teams call within the RDP session my laptop abruptly turns off. And every time if I have the L13 camera enabled when answering the call.
The only changes we have in our 'BIOS' is admin password and remove bootable options as pxe, usb etc so I can't see that being an issue.
The only change I remember doing was Fn<->Ctrl key swap, yet it improved my stability by a lot (still waiting for a real fix btw)

@Sam Cosby

Are there any news regarding validating the root cause of this issue?

Same problem with Teams and *Lenovo is not involved*
I already tested with Intel GPU and NVIDIA GPU, disable GPU acceleration, checked for a clue in the event viewer and controled CPU Temperature and I don’t find a solution yet.

@Brad Wilson 

Are there any news regarding validating the root cause of this issue?

@RayDilsons Hello,

I have the same problem starting february with Lenovo ThinkPad L13... starting from february a few days before 1 year warranty expires.

It makes a random forced shutdown when in Teams calls (i noticed a high temperature, sensor indicate sometimes 100 degree celsius). I changed the thermal pasta, but the same problem occures. I am monitorign the rtemparature, thinking that this might be  cause. But in rest the laptop does not have a problems even when rendering video 1 hour....

@iuliang 

Hi, after running a BIOS update v1.29, it seemed to have sorted out the problem.  I tested it on 2 laptops that had the Teams shutting down the laptop problem.  Maybe worth giving that a try.

Hi, I've also just updated my BIOS and it seems to work fine now but I have a quick question if I may. After it shuts off, when turning it back on does your L13 also shuts down a few more  (1-3) times before finally it gets to work? I hope its not just me. Thanks in advance
Caleb

HI, Yes when I was testing the problem, the L13 did shut down a few more times before it could turn on properly.

I just installes lastest BIOS and Intel Firmware using Lenovo Vantage (until 1-2 months ago i had all up to date - system and bios, but the problem still persisted).
I am curios if this will help.