SOLVED

Multiple Accounts in the Teams Desktop App

MVP

The iOS app for Teams allows me to be logged onto multiple accounts simultaneously, but not the desktop App.

Do we know when this will be coming?

Thanks,

Craig

72 Replies

@ChristianJBergstrom 

I would be very surprised if it rolls out before Y3K. People have been asking for this since they bought Skype.

Why not just allow multiple windows at the same time like Word or Excel (But sadly not Project)?

@audunspello 

Is there any light about the Multiple Accounts in the Mac Teams Desktop App?

@Jurgen_Bosmans It does work, but not as one might think.

The only way to login with an additional Non-Personal account works as follows:

1. Close the Teams Desktop App

2. Find an E-Mail with a Teams notification for the desired account (I used "Foobar has sent a message") and click the "reply in Teams" link. 

This will open the link in your browser (I used Safari) and prompts to open the Teams App.

3. Login with the corresponding Organisation-Account.

4. Done. Now the MacOS Teams Desktop app will let you switch between your organisation accounts. 

It worked for me. I never used more than two organisation accounts but I don't see any reason for it not to work with more.

I tried this, but Teams signed out my other work account, so this is not really a solution.

@Craig Bryden 

I came up with a clunky but acceptable solution for now; on my Mac I have simply created different computer user accounts for my different organizations, so that everything I need for one org is in one place. They are all associated with my specific apple ID, so I still have access to cloud things between different user accounts.

Not the best solution, as I have to switch users on my computer, but better than signing out of teams and signing back in and having to verify and blah blah blah every time; I can simply switch users on my Mac and use my fingerprint.

@ProfessorFrost Yeah I've created the same workaround on my PC. I just login to my different profile for each business account.

But still clunky and time consuming when the Android app they have allows me to have multiple accounts on it so I can get all the notifications there. Then have to sign-in to the desktop one to respond/work on the request. 
Super inefficient compared to being able to do all my work from one profile. This feature was rolling out in like Feb 2020 initially. And now all we've received is a personal and business account which is literally as useless as one account only. We want this for business Microsoft, the world of the contractor is WELL underway.

whilst I want Microsoft to sort this out I like this idea for a workaround, I can user switch on my macbook quicker then logging in and out and MFA into Teams.

Does it cause any problems with icloud? I have 4 organisations I work for that use Teams now - and likely to grow

Come on, Microsoft - you're forcing users not to use your product!

I'm really looking forward to this feature being added!!!!!
It’s 2022. I try to setup the 2nd Teams account for my child on PC and found this discussion. Why Microsoft still ignoring this request?
This whole topic is ridiculous.
Why TF is it marked as SOLVED????

At the time (2019) it was the "best response". The feature is being worked on and the latest official reply is found here https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/d256e0f6-262e-ec11-b6e6-00224827bbc2
In 2019, according to Microsoft it was going to be completed in Fall. Then again in Q2 2020, then second half of 2021, now apparently end of 2022... Forgive us for not having faith Microsoft can deliver this feature every competitor has after 3 years of moving the goalposts.
As a project manager (who uses multiple accounts) I'd be fired long ago if I kept missing milestones for 3 years. I'd expect Microsoft to be a bit more accurate.

@gorchase 

Another half a year has passed and it's still missing. Insane.

When this highly requested feature will be finally available?!
It's a must for all cross-organisation workers. And there are many!
Frankly, I struggle to believe that MS is delaying implementing this feature for the application running on their own OS (Windows). I also need to access multiple Teams tenants from my desktop,

For now I've added "guest" accounts for my "main" account on the additional tenancies I need to access, so I can somewhat easily switch between them. Still a workaround with various limitations....

@UBMike72interestingly I have had that feature for a very short time in my teams client (was back on Windows 10) but

• my colleagues never received it, and
  • after some updates it vanished on my machine as well

So, it seems to me that MS will (or can) not implement this feature although there is a huge demand on the users side.

Yes, and guest accounts can be a workaround. I added a "PWA-based client" to my desktop for other accounts, so you can open them in a separate browser window at least.

@Thomas42 

I'd bet money that it'll be released as a feature in one of their new subscription plans as an add-on despite literal years of promising this feature.

Bet they decided back then that they were moving to a Teams subscription model so just held off knowing the demand

The initial ”promise” was adding a personal account next to the work/school account.
Posted in the feedback portal 11 days ago.

”Support for with multiple accounts a top priority and our engineering teams are actively working on it. We will share an update as soon as we have more clarity about the dates. Thank you for your patience, upvotes and continued feedback.”