SOLVED

MS Teams New Meeting Experience auto-unchecked

Bronze Contributor
I have noticed a strange behavior after turning on the Microsoft Teams new meeting experience, I checked it is working normally but when you sign out from MS Teams, the new meeting experience is unchecked. If I quit Teams, it isn't and still remains checked.

Has anyone else notices this odd behavior or it's only me.... if you haven't tested yet, please do and comment your experience below, or if you know a possible solution share it with Tech Community.

Capture.PNG
34 Replies

@PDostiyarWe are seeing the same thing occur here, but it's not happening for everyone.  We do not have a solution yet to get it to stay enabled. 

@ccjeanty We had a similar case with a few internal folks and it seems that Office apps that are running (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc) may interfere and prevent the setting from saving. So, if you have any of them open...close them first. Then make the change in your Teams client to enable multi-window meetings.

Worked for us.

Completed this suggestion below.
Closed all OFFICE apps except TEAMS, check box, restarted Teams, did not remain checked when I opened.

Re: MS Teams New Meeting Experience auto-unchecked
@ccjeanty We had a similar case with a few internal folks and it seems that Office apps that are running (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc) may interfere and prevent the setting from saving. So, if you have any of them open...close them first. Then make the change in your Teams client to enable multi-window meetings.

@rovert506  Thanks for the tip, unfortunately, the setting still didn't stay after trying that.

I too am having this issue. I have tried multiple ways to try and get the setting to stick, however nothing is working. @PDostiyar 

I turned off all MS products, went into Task manger ended all MS looking process, went to teams and checked . "turn on new meeting experience" and now have access to the new Team functions.

Vince_Lunetta_1962_0-1596573822611.png

@IS24 

@Vince_Lunetta_1962I've tried this possible fix and it does get the new meeting experience to work, however when I log out of Teams and sign back in, the settings revert again.

same issue here

@PDostiyar : I have the exact same behavior. When quitting Teams (or ending the task from Task Manager), the setting remains in place. But as soon as you log out and then back on, the setting becomes unselected.

I have tried closing down all Office apps (in fact, I have tried killing all the tasks I could in the Task Manager) before make changes to the Teams settings, but that hasn't changed a thing.

I am using, according to Teams "About" option: Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.19173 (64-bit). It was last updated on 7/29/20

@PDostiyar ,

So I investigated a little more and it looks like the configuration setting for this option is found in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\desktop-config.json. When enabling the New Meeting Experience setting, the appPreferenceSettings.callingMWEnabledPreferenceKey member is set to True.

When ending the task or when logging out of Teams, the setting remains set to true.

When you log back on (after a log out), the setting in the JSON config file does not change but if you go into Settings again, the option is unticked (even through the config still has the option set to True).

I am wondering if perhaps this is due to the fact that I run Teams on my personal machine (where I log into Windows using my personal account) while my Teams application is logged on using my professional account. Perhaps this throws off Teams' parsing of its config file.

Well first of all Thanks @Filipus24

you have gone far in this research and great outcome from the efforts you did in search and I am sure the profile on that machine being personal/local but not connected to Azure AD or local AD could be the root cause for this issue, As I did check mine on the corporate machine and all seems exactly what you mentioned.

you have nailed it, great job!

@PDostiyar : thanks for the praise but I am afraid it is undeserved. I ran a few additional tests on my corporate laptop, on which I log on using my corporate account, which is the same as Teams, and the same behavior occurs. Logging out of Teams and then back on changes the setting just like it does on my personal PC.

So I guess the answer for now is: if you want to quit Teams, don't log out, just kill the task.

We're a software company, and if my software behaved that way, I would rush out an update because it looks soooooo unprofessional, but in the meantime, hey, whatever works, right? :\

@Filipus24  hopefully they will soon put that on the roadmap on their upcoming updates...

@PDostiyar  - i did run across this article which was helpfully for us to force turning off the feature for users by modifying the apppreferencesettings as @Filipus24 mentions.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/scripting/configuring_startup_settings_in_microsoft_teams_with_window...

@ think this is the expected behaviour as of now. The tick box remains if you quit. However if you log out if is unticked. It looks like they are switching it on by default soon as the updated information on the new Teams calling and meeting experience states 

• New experiences are available and users can enable through settings. - Complete
  • Experiences are enabled by default and users can disable through settings. - Late August
  • Experiences are enabled by default and user controls are no longer available. - September

@Deletedthanks for sharing this great... information...

@rovert506 

Had same issue after Office Update. Setting not staying. Closed all Office APPs, logged out of Teams then exited Teams APP. Only then New Experience stayed.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@PDostiyar This behavior actually appears to be working as Microsoft intended.  In this article, it states:

What happens to the new meeting experience if I sign out of Teams or switch to a different Teams org?
If you sign out or switch to a different Teams org (also known as a "tenant"), you'll have to turn on the new meeting experience again. Follow the instructions for turning it on in Settings and restarting Teams.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/new-meeting-and-calling-experience-in-mi...

Microsoft is supposed to be changing that option to be defaulted to On and you have to opt out in the near future which will then keep the box checked even after a sign out.

View solution in original post