SOLVED

MS Teams - Max number of plans per team

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Hi all,

I am not able to find the official documentation on maximum number of plans a users can create per team?

What’s your experience creating multiple plans per project within one team. The reason for creating individual plan per project is due to status reporting at project level and with single project we can’t achieve it because 3 different classification using combination of buckets and categories.

Appreciate your recommendations or please comment if you see any issues with the above approach.

Thanks for your help.
9 Replies
Highlighted
Best Response confirmed by Badal Ratra (Frequent Contributor)
Solution
I’m not aware of any hard limits regarding this! The planner team aren’t keen publishing the limitations of planner!

I wouldn’t worry about them though if you’re not creating a massive amount!

I see no problem with having this approach with multiple plans in a team! I’m using this too in many cases without hitting any limitations or other downsides

Adam
Highlighted
Hi @Badal Ratra,

The limit of the number of plans is 500k

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_project-mso_other-mso_o365b/office-365-p...

So I would say that it is probably more defined by the maximum number of tabs you can have in a channel rather than likely reaching this limit! :D

For customers I have engaged I see a mixture of 1.) some do it in different teams 2.) some do multiple plans in different channels and 3.) some do multiple plans per channel. I would say that it is whatever works best for for your organisation and how best your users can work and collaborate - but should be governed on what users need to access (principle of least priviledge).

Hope that helps!

Best, Chris
Highlighted
Thanks Adam and Chris.

Chris, Yes, I agree with you on the max number of tabs concept and user experience. I have already considered this with the user and decided that only in progress planner projects will be pinned up as a tab.

I am more concerned about the multiple planner projects which will be created per channel by sub teams and these projects will grow-up so quickly due to project short duration is between 1 - 2 months. Please point if you have any comment?

Example of Team structure looks like:
Team Name
- sub team 1 channel - plan a tab, plan b tab
- sub team 2 channel - plan c tab, plan d tab etc
- sub team 3 channel - plan e tab, plan f tab etc
- sub team 4 channel - plan
- sub team 5 channel - plan h

Just confused with the linked shared as per your last response it outlines each user can create up to 500k projects and But doesn’t have the clear information point to 500k projects per team or channel?

Another point from the link shared by you previously - “Each plan will create with Office 365 group” Please help to clarify how creation of multiple plans per team linked to Office 365 group? My understanding is that when we create a team it creates the Office 365 Groups and multiple plans created within team linked to only one o365 group? Please confirm.

Many thanks again.
Highlighted
Thanks Adam and Chris.

Chris, Yes, I agree with you on the max number of tabs concept and user experience. I have already considered this with the user and decided that only in progress planner projects will be pinned up as a tab.

I am more concerned about the multiple planner projects which will be created per channel by sub teams and these projects will grow-up so quickly due to project short duration is between 1 - 2 months. Do you think this is the good solution?

Example of Team structure looks like:
Team Name
- sub team 1 channel - plan a tab, plan b tab
- sub team 2 channel - plan c tab, plan d tab etc
- sub team 3 channel - plan e tab, plan f tab etc
- sub team 4 channel - plan
- sub team 5 channel - plan h

Just confused with the linked shared as per your last response it outlines each user can create up to 500k projects and But doesn’t have the clear information point to 500k projects per team or channel?

Another point from the link shared by you previously - “Each plan will create with Office 365 group” Please help to clarify how creation of multiple plans per team linked to Office 365 group? My understanding is that when we create a team it creates the Office 365 Groups and multiple plans created within team linked to only one o365 group? Please confirm.

Many thanks again.

Highlighted
The number of plans ( 500k) is based upon the tenant limit of Office 365 groups, and do not relate to number of per Team plans ! The number of plans should logically be more due to that you can create multiple plans per Office 365 group!

Normalt when you create a new plan you also create a group! But you can have several plans now connected to 1 group!

AFAIK there are no limitations published for this!

Adam
Highlighted

Hi Badal,

I think that there are benefits and costs in a similar way to the Teams Vs Channels argument. If you do it in channels it will be easier to manage since you won't have to create a new team every time so you have a lower amount of Teams sprawl, however the cost will be that you can't, say, archive channels - it's still on the backlog per uservoice.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16940815-ability-to-archive-ch...

I would be tempted to trial run 2 teams and 1 Team with a few channels to see which is the better working experience. I would probably lean towards Teams so I can archive the Team but I know that this isn't necessary for all organisations.

In terms of the limit per Teams/Channel - there is nothing out there which shows what the actual limit is: I guess I was making the point that since the limit of plans is 500k the limits (if they were anything smaller than this number) would be defined by the Team/Channel. The limit of the number of Teams and Office 365 Groups is 500k so if you took it that there is one Team, one 365 Group and one plan then that is 500k. There is nothing to state that this limit does not apply to multiple plans in channels, however there is a limit of 200 channels within a Team

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams

In terms of whether you create a plan it creates an Office 365 group see this article - if you create a new plan via Planner it creates a new Office 365 group

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-plan-in-Microsoft-Planner-93e65b03-6fac-4661-a502-...

In Teams when you add a new plan it will create it in the Office 365 group linked to the Team, so several plans within one Team/Office 365 group.

Hope that makes sense!

Best, Chris

Highlighted

@Badal RatraI can't comment on the 500K Plan limit quoted in that link, but I do know that you can create multiple plans within a single team now (you couldn't do this before, so each plan used to require a new group).  Your plan should work as long as you make a plan for how to scale it up as new projects are added and old ones are finished.

At this time, there's no option to "archive" a Plan, you can only delete them when you're done.  If that's not acceptable, have a plan for how to manage completed projects.

Also, please vote for this "feature" on UserVoice.  Why was not added within the first year of Planner is beyond me, but here we are.

Highlighted
Status reporting across Plans is currently very limited, make to understand the limitations and manage people's expectations. If you need sophisticated management reporting of task status, you will need to build a tool your self or use something else, like Project Online.
Highlighted

@Dean Grossare you referring to how there is no method to get insights from multiple boards into one location yet?

If not, I'm just interested to know what limitations you've experienced.